Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove a dvd from a drive on an iBook not responding to usual tips, etc.?

I have a recent purchase, an iBook w/ an internal optical drive. I inserted a dvd and now can't remove it. I'm sure there's a physical problem. I have tried all the tips, etc. It 'tries' to eject the DVD but can't. I noticed when I inserted the disk that it seemed 'not normal', i.e. a little more noise then I expected. This is the first time I have tried the drive. Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks,

Jack

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 1, 2012 10:34 AM

6 replies

May 1, 2012 9:43 PM in response to Jack E. Tilley

All iBooks have an internal optical drive.

Is it a slot-loading drive or tray-loading drive?

(Slot-loading, I would guess if it truly has Mac OS X 10.5.8 installed.)

When someone says they've "tried everything," yet come here for help, we need a list of the things they've tried, otherwise how can we know which "tip or trick" they may not know about?

Sometimes a disc will eject if you shut down the iBook and hold down the trackpad button during startup. Is this one of those things you've tried?

May 2, 2012 10:04 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Hi Ronda.., Thanks for the reply... Yes, slot loading & 10.5.8. I have tried holding the trackpad as the iBook starts up.... I've tried using every method that I have learned in the past 30 years as a Mac fan....As I said, the unit tries to eject (makes noise, seems to start to eject then retracts). It doesn't come out far enough to see it or "grab it". I have THREE of these, trying to get one good one. One lost the system and won't accept the system re-install...seems to me the HD has went south, one has problems w/ the optical not working at all, & this one. Makes an old farmer (we have corn here in Ohio, too) frustrated. I'm reasonably sure it's a mechanical problem. I've taken the other two apart and I'm looking at this one too BUT....even after getting the drive out, I don't know how to get the disk out of the drive! Thanks again...... Jack

May 3, 2012 2:48 AM in response to Jack E. Tilley

As I said, unless you tell us "every method" that you have used, we can't know what to tell you that you may not have used.

Here are a couple of other methods using Terminal:

There are two commands that can be used in the Terminal (located in Applications/Utilities) which can be used to force disk ejection:

The first command to try is drutil tray eject. Simply type in this command and press return.

The other method takes a little more work but can work in instances where the first method fails.

1. Type the command drutil list into the Terminal and press return . This will provide a list of all currently connected removable devices. [ScreenShot 1-DiskEject] -- connect FireWire/USB drives for this
  2. Use the command drutil tray eject 1

In the above command, the number "1" should be replaced with whatever drive number you obtained in the first step.

These are directly from cnet.com:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10333570-263.html

There are other methods listed there, too, which you may have already tried, but may work if you haven't yet tried them.

Good luck.

How do I remove a dvd from a drive on an iBook not responding to usual tips, etc.?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.