Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Assistant only offers Windows 7

Trying to install Windows XP on my MacBook Pro (10.7.3). When I go through the process the Select Tasks page only offers Install Windows 7. I have my Windows XP (w/SP2) disk in the optical drive, but BCA keeps saying it can't find the installer.

I checked my disk partitions and only see HD Recovery Partition. Isn't that one created when Lion is installed.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 1, 2012 12:37 PM

14 replies

May 1, 2012 12:53 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

I only read to the point where the process continued to fail.

Please tell me on what page does it way that only Windows 7 can be installed or Windows XP can't be installed? Yes, it only makes reference to Windows 7 so, in inference, I perhaps should have known that XP wouldn't work. But note how the title of the first page refers to installing Microsoft Windows, not Microsoft Windows 7.

Since I don't have Windows 7, I'll just say eff it.

May 1, 2012 1:03 PM in response to jtfey

Some computers require Microsoft Windows 7

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4410

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1899

FAQ: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986

Every support page for a product is best place to start with.

Installation Guide

Instructions for all features and settings.

Boot Camp 4.0 FAQ

Get answers to commonly asked Boot Camp questions.

Windows 7 FAQ

Answers to commonly asked Windows 7 questions.

- support articles and tips, how to.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Macs that work with 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1846

May 1, 2012 1:06 PM in response to jtfey

jtfey wrote:

I only read to the point where the process continued to fail.

Please tell me on what page does it way that only Windows 7 can be installed or Windows XP can't be installed? Yes, it only makes reference to Windows 7 so, in inference, I perhaps should have known that XP wouldn't work. But note how the title of the first page refers to installing Microsoft Windows, not Microsoft Windows 7.

Since I don't have Windows 7, I'll just say eff it.

Is The hatter's list enough for you or do you still want me to identify pages?

Jul 23, 2012 6:55 AM in response to jegs2sherri

jegs2sherri wrote:

coander15, thanks for the first useful answer on this page! Will try the Disk Utility, since a lot of my older games won't run well on Windows 7. Do have an old Snow Leopard disk lying around. 🙂

You think that answer was the only useful answer only because you won't accept the fact that XP is not supported and there are no drivers for lion or newer computers.

So you can spend a lot of time and effort trying to get XP working, or you can accept the other useful answers and get yourself up and running with Windows 7 easily and quickly.

By the way. what XP programs don't run in Windows 7?

Jul 23, 2012 7:23 AM in response to jtfey

Games. The vast majority of people using Boot Camp at this point are gamers. And I find it irritating to take my limited time helping people **** away theirs. There are some engineering/design CAD type programs that are best suited for running on Windows natively, any of which will run on Windows 7, but the vast majority of productive apps work just fine in VM. And considering decent VM is available for free or cheap, IMO people should be strongly discouraged from using Boot Camp, and asked why they even need to use it. When they say "for a game" which is almost inevitably the case, that's when I stop helping.

Dec 13, 2012 9:04 AM in response to jtfey

To jtfey

Here is the method to install Windows Xp with using Mac OSX 10.8.1 [mountain lion] with boot camp assistant 5.0 "That doesn't support Windows XP! 😁"

i found out!

You need:

1.Windows 7 original or image of original burned on DVD.

2.Windows XP original or image of original or any WinPe based bootable CD/DVD

3.Patience. 😉

As ussual create partition with Boot Camp to install Windows 7, remember you must have Windows 7 disk in

your CD/DVD drive! When system auto reboots you just need to change Windows 7 with Wndows XP in CD/DVD drive.[Click and Hold Ttrackpad button & also "alt" button on your MacBook Pro before it starts after rebooting until the Windows 7 DVD comes out then insert Windows XP CD and wait until cd icon appears, chose that icon and click enter ] You'll proceed to ussual Windows XP installation process. Thats it!

P.S.

Now, answers to other people in this forum thread !!

q: By the way. what XP programs don't run in Windows 7?

a: Carmageddon + Splat Pack for dos or windows running terrible under Win7 and don't tell me abaut emulation of dos!

This games under DosBox (The best dos emulator in my opinion) are laggy. Or if you want to use any dos programs in FULLSCREEN without any problem, Windows Xp is the key!

Cris said: "Games. The vast majority of people using Boot Camp at this point are gamers. And I find it irritating to take my limited time helping people **** away theirs......."

My Answer To Cris: jtfey asked help with his problem! noone needs your point of view about gaming e t. c.

If you can help then help without questions like "what for do you need...bla,bla,vast majority of people,bla,bla" !!!

Dec 13, 2012 10:00 AM in response to pan iwi

pan iwi wrote:

To jtfey

Here is the method to install Windows Xp with using Mac OSX 10.8.1 [mountain lion] with boot camp assistant 5.0 "That doesn't support Windows XP! 😁"

i found out!

You need:

1.Windows 7 original or image of original burned on DVD.

2.Windows XP original or image of original or any WinPe based bootable CD/DVD

3.Patience. 😉

As ussual create partition with Boot Camp to install Windows 7, remember you must have Windows 7 disk in

your CD/DVD drive! When system auto reboots you just need to change Windows 7 with Wndows XP in CD/DVD drive.[Click and Hold Ttrackpad button & also "alt" button on your MacBook Pro before it starts after rebooting until the Windows 7 DVD comes out then insert Windows XP CD and wait until cd icon appears, chose that icon and click enter ] You'll proceed to ussual Windows XP installation process. Thats it!

You have not explained how to get the drivers XP will need to run, did you forget or just don't know that they are needed.

Your information is useless without that information!

Dec 13, 2012 12:13 PM in response to pan iwi

My Answer To Cris: jtfey asked help with his problem! noone needs your point of view about gaming e t. c. If you can help then help without questions like "what for do you need...bla,bla

I am well within my right to deny help to people who use their computers in ways I find to be an inane waste of time, the same as if they were using their computers to help injure other people. How you use your computer is my business if you're asking me for my help.

Dec 13, 2012 2:02 PM in response to jtfey

Re:Your information is useless without that information!

What are you talkin' about?!

I didn't post that information for you personaly!

The question was how to install Windows XP on MacBook Pro!

And i shared with my experience! As i assume, we are here to help each other and share information..

If you don't know how to find drivers, just ask!

After you had installed Windows Xp just execute Boot Camp 3.0 [It is downloadable] I think there is no need to explain how to download Boot Camp. :-).

After that i had several unknown devices ,as smbus controller, sound card, wi-fi, network controller,......

Next step is

you must find out "device id" for unknown devices. And search drivers for them via internet..

Also you can use DriverPackSolution (this app. had almost all my drivers smbus,wi-fi,vga...) and Driver Genius Portable (that had my bluetooth driver and others)

Once you have found all drivers store them in save place.

BobTheFisherMan said that:"Lion does not support XP"

I don't know exactly what did he mean, but i am not trying to install software (Windows XP) on software(lion),

It is method that installs software (Windows XP) on hardware (MacBook). And it is no matter supports Lion Windows XP or not.

I've done this on my Macbook 7,1.

Dec 13, 2012 2:08 PM in response to pan iwi

pan iwi wrote:

Re:Your information is useless without that information!

What are you talkin' about?!

After you had installed Windows Xp just execute Boot Camp 3.0 [It is downloadable] I

What am I talking about?

Boot Camp 3.0 is not available as a download

That's what I am talking about, the incorrect BS that you keep posting.

Dec 13, 2012 3:10 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Actually, his recommendation was useful, and I'm typing this message on the Windows XP (Boot Camp) side of my MacBook Pro (with Mountain Lion on the other side). The tone of my message was likely in reference to the many unuseful and dismissive comments that held no value-added to the discussion.

The bottom line is that installing Windows XP via Boot Camp is a work-around process on Mountain Lion that will work only on older MacBook Pros (before shipping with Lion). Well, actually you can do it with Lion Macs too, but the process is more pain-staking and involved.

For those looking to install Windows XP on a Mac running Lion or newer (that didn't ship with Lion or newer), check out this link.

As to games that run on XP that won't run on Windows 7, there are several older games I like that cannot be adapted well to 7, even in XP mode.

Boot Camp Assistant only offers Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.