Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Colour Profiles

(Sorry if I'm double posting this issue but as I try to isolate the problem I find I'm in the wrong place)

I've just bought a 2nd hand Iiyama screen and am finding that 1/4 of the internet has used sRGB attached to its images, which is creating a whole new world of fake tan for me. If I save one of these images and apply the monitors colour profile in Preview the image looks normal, I've also tried to calibrate the display both in Apples Color and via the screens controls - all to no avail. The problem appear to be with the OSX colour profile for the screen? Does anyone know how to override one of these? - and yes I've tried calibrating the current profile and using as many other available in the displays control panel as the OS supplies

Thanks for any thoughts on the mental conundrum

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 1, 2012 1:03 PM

14 replies

May 2, 2012 4:26 AM in response to BDAqua

Just tracked down all the iiyama CRT - ICM profiles from their site and tried installing them in

/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/

&

/System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/

From you suggestion BDAquaand - /System/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ is telling me it 'cannot be modified' and it only appears to contain generic profiles, could this be the cause? Do I risk breaking the system if I authenticate and install the screens profile here?

May 4, 2012 5:33 AM in response to Hammer Tome

Finally had a breakthrough!

Setting the display control panel to sRGB and then dragging and dropping an sRGB assigned image into a Safari window, displays the images colours correctly. When this action has been performed once, all the other apps seem behave too, but no before

AARRGGGG! I LIED!

I've just tied to reproduce the above process, but since logging into this site - dragging and dropping my test image into Safari and we're back to an over saturated effect again, but preview is still showing the same images colours correctly! Even after a quit

(Using a different account has no effect on the problem BDAqua, thanks for listening though)

Time to log out of here and see if that was the cause? brb

May 4, 2012 6:03 AM in response to Hammer Tome

(Sadly my problem hasn't been solved by my own stupidity and button pressing, shame you can't unsolve posts again?)

I can confirm that logging into this site was not the cause of my recent aberration but it does appear to illustrate how colour profiles work in OS 10.4..11 or on my system with this screen anyway

It's just nice to know I can finally change this bizarre effect. I'll keep testing and post any results

I'd be grateful if someone could tell me if the images I posted above, both appear really washed out and dull or one looks washed out and the other bright orange? Cheers

May 4, 2012 10:00 AM in response to Hammer Tome

Whew, this is pretty strange, never saw this before!?

Looking at the pic you posted the one on the right looked better, more color & more detail, but then saved the pic to my Mac to have a closer look, cut each side out to have a closer look at the makeup of each one... lo & behold, cutting & pasting the right side made a really guady pic!

PixMap Info on your whole pic...

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

PaxMap Info left...

User uploaded file

PixMap Info Right...

User uploaded file

May 5, 2012 6:07 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you BDAqua for taking the time to look at that image and the bizzare effect on colour I'm experiencing with this screen/color profile. If we are both looking at the same effect? The image you posted looks the same to me in both the iiyamas' display profile and the sRGB display profile but the top pair of images are what I see when the screen is set to sRGB and the bottom pair when the display is set the iiyamas' - which is how I intended the image to look.

Are the top pair of your images how the image looks to you in my post?

Thanks for that PixMap grab too, it's a bit disturbing seeing how much colour is being lost and what I can trust with this screen!?

(Of all the screens in all the world, I had to buy this one!!!)

Once again many thanks

May 5, 2012 8:59 AM in response to Hammer Tome

Are the top pair of your images how the image looks to you in my post?

Yes, but that's not to say they look the same here as there.

Thanks for that PixMap grab too, it's a bit disturbing seeing how much colour is being lost and what I can trust with this screen!?

I suspect the color loss is due to the jpeg compression, that is how jpg reduces size so much, by dropping the number of colors. Is the original a jpg, or a TIFF?

May 5, 2012 12:27 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes, but that's not to say they look the same here as there.

I suspect the color loss is due to the jpeg compression

I think you can see my difficulty in trying to explain this conundrum, As I've said 1/4 of the internet has become gaudy - BUT, by downloading a gaudy image file (ie 'save linked file' and not 'save image' )- opening it in preview and applying a different color profile. I can have that same image - the original broadcast image from the website open in the browser window looking over saturated with patches of it's detail missing AND that exact same image downloaded from the website opened in preview and a different colour profile applied - looking full of detail and normal.

Changing the displays' colour profile to sRGB appears to make the monitor behave, but why is there such an extreme difference between this monitors published color profile and sRGB. I've never seen such a discrepancy before and as I've said only with images tagged with an sRGB profile or as you've kindly illustrated, really dull images tagged with this screens profile and all at the same time on the same screen!!!

May 15, 2012 8:41 PM in response to BDAqua

I am having a similar problem, except it seems all my pages are going black and white, the worst is print in any form, even the menu bar on the top of my mac same type of machine. When I go to /library/colorsync/profiles/

, there are no profiles set up the folder is blank. Is there a way to check the card to see if it is going bad or did someone delete the profiles, this is my moms computer and her 10 yr old grand son plays on it. I did try to repair with colorsync utilites and it said unable to repair and that I had a bad ... can not remember what it said sorry.

Colour Profiles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.