Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting to a 'clean' finder from Startup Disk?

I am having huge problems with new monitors holding a calibration. My tech at Lacie has recommended starting up from the startup disk with basically a 'clean' finder so we can determine if I am having a hardware or software issue that is causing the problem. I can find no way to do this however. Is there a way to do this other than installing the OS on an external hard drive and booting from that?

Thank you!!

Posted on May 1, 2012 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2012 2:44 PM

Safe Mode won't work.

Clone your system if you want to leave yours as is and do some tests.

More details? your model, gpu, the LaCie in question...

And it only takes what half an hour to install and update with just Apple OS?

14 replies

May 1, 2012 3:06 PM in response to The hatter

Thank you! Here's what I have:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68b8

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-C0160C-155

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436

Displays:

LaCie 324i:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

May 1, 2012 3:01 PM in response to Artistique

More English like would have been fine. Want to be careful about ser. no.

MacPro3,1 Early 2008 w/ 5770 and LaCie 324i

product page

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10524

Digital 1x DVI-D
2x HDMI

DisplayPort, DVI-D, HDMI, Component

Downloads Datasheet [pdf · 979 KB]

Downloads User Manual [pdf · 2.11 MB]

Downloads Quick Install Guide [pdf · 2.21 MB]

Try a different monitor cable, and power cord. If possible do not use any adapter connections, or at least change out the adapter being used to a different one to be thorough.

you tried on DVI does it have Mini Display Port? using any adapters?

May 1, 2012 3:13 PM in response to The hatter

I am a long way through a long series of trouble shooting. Brand new monitor replaced by Lacie, 2 different new DVI cables tried, connected to DVI port on new graphics card. I have been working with LaCie advanced tech support on this issue. They suggested that I try and figure out if it is a hardware issue. It should be either hardware or software at this point. That is when they suggested doing a startup from the install disk, thinking that it would boot from that to a clean finder without all my stuff on it. They are not Mac people though, which is why I am here as that didnt work.

May 1, 2012 3:30 PM in response to Artistique

You don't realize when you post that the background helps people like me, it does.

how about what OS? 10.6.8 I assume or you could list that (Apple did have a hardware profile sig that showed under everyone's posts with OS and Mac and other goodies, helped a lot).

LaCie... don't I know it. Monitors are good. Use to be a good storage company (Quantum LaCie 20 yrs ago).

Weren't there calibration devices on LaCie monitors? that would have its own software too?

So? Lion or Snow Leopard? Your system shipped with 10.5.x originally so you cannot use that.

you can't use most any of the SL 10.6 DVDs as they don't really support the ATI 5770. So you need to clone 10.6.5+ to another drive. And you can buy and install Lion on another drive.

So you have a couple issues with software too.

May 1, 2012 3:46 PM in response to The hatter

So sorry! I thought if I wrote the entire history of the last two weeks of troubleshooting it would be a book. Plus I thought it might be an easy quesiton. 🙂 Nothing is easy with computers, I swear.

I am running 10.6.8. So am I to understand that it doesn't support the ATI 5770, and that an upgrade to Lion might help?

Yes, I have the blue eye pro calibration device. The problem is that once I make a calibration, it shifts off and won't hold the calibration. We are trying to determine why, having switched to the new graphics card, new cables, and new monitor. I think the original monitor was part of the issue, because when I got the new one it was better, but not completely resolved. I got the new graphics card BEFORE the new monitor, so it is possible that it as contributed to the problem. I had thought to try Lion to see if that would help. I have already analyzed my powerpc apps and there is nothing I can't live without.

May 1, 2012 4:47 PM in response to Artistique

Good that there isn't anything you need to worry about Rosetta but... your system like most of us may be a treasure trove going back in time to pre-Intel days.

10.6.3 DVDs don't support 5770. It required 10.6.5 or later. Why you probably can't test from a DVD.

Lion is only $30 - and a hrad drive. Do it clean. Don't do anything to what you have. Clone your system(s).

Created a new test or guest user account would be helpful to try with too. I can assume there are some preferneces and stuff that could be messing up.

I wish there was 10.6.8 on DVD or at least 10.6.6 (like 10.4.6 and 10.5.6 were).

With Lion you could also order a special GTX 570 2.5GB for your workload down the road, I have always prefered their cards when they were good, and CUDA. And seems CS6 is humming nicely on a good setup.

You are in a pickle though with getting this to work. I would be looking at another monitor with the level of color accuracy you need though if LaCie can't - and they should know their P's and Q's.

May 3, 2012 1:13 PM in response to The hatter

Ok, I am having no luck installing SL on an external hard drive. I have the hard drive, clean and formatted with extended journaled. I put in the installer disk while still running my operating drive, choose that hard drive and it starts installing. It works for about 15 minutes and the status bar gets about 1/4 of the way through. Then, suddenly it shuts down, restarts, and opens with the startup disk. At that point it doesn't give me the option of installing in my external hard drive, only the internal ones. ***?

Getting to a 'clean' finder from Startup Disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.