Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect my Apple TV to my Philips surround sound DVD system?

I can't seem to get surround sound when watching Apple TV (or when watching live or recorded TV via my Virgin Tivo). I use a three-years old Philips DVD home surround system to get surround sound when I'm watching Blu-Ray (I have connected my Philips Blu-ray and my Philips DVD player without difficulty). But I can't figure out how to get surround sound whne watching Apple TV. I bought an optical cable with an audio jack on one end, to connect to the DVD player and the optical end clicks into the ATV. Still nothing. Any ideas?

Posted on May 1, 2012 2:58 PM

5 replies

May 1, 2012 4:59 PM in response to TomHarris1964

Optical cable to audio jack may be a Toslink to mini Toslink cable, but I'd be surprised if the Philips had a mini Toslink input - could it be analogue out or analogue audio in?

Unless the Philips system has HDMI in for AppleTV you would ordinarily connect AppleTV via optical to optical unless it had the aforementioned mini optical/Toslink input.

AC

May 2, 2012 12:00 AM in response to Winston Churchill

The surround system seems to support digital audio - it has settings for HDMI audio and video (even though it doesn't actually have an HDMI port) I bought the optical/audio cable on the advice of a staff member in the Apple Store, but frankly, she didn't see, to understand my problem. She recommended I insert the cable into the "MP3 cable IN" port but that' not working.

I'm probably not explaining myself very well - bottom line: I have a DVD surround system and an Apple TV, so how do I connect them?

How do I connect my Apple TV to my Philips surround sound DVD system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.