Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suggestions on how to change the background color in an image?

Hi,

I have a image that contains a really nice subject; however the background is two-toned and distracting. I've tried the Repair/Clone tool to change the background to one color with limited success. Any suggestions appreciated.

Also, the Perfect Mask plug-in by onOne Software looks like it is designed to replace backgrounds. I'd appreciate from anyone that has used this this plug-in - or other plug-ins that are similar in function.

thanks

Posted on May 1, 2012 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2012 7:33 PM

I'm curious -- I'll give it a whirl.

Whoa -- a 640 MB program file? Does it make sandwiches?

Added: and, hands-down, the least useful intro video I've ever seen. Not a good start.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

6 replies

May 1, 2012 8:13 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

... and a brilliant finish!

Works well, seems to be _very_ well implemented.

Instant results:

User uploaded file

You can't do anything like that in Aperture (the flower and bee are from my photograph; masked the background and added the new background selected from the included files in less than three minutes, ten if you include watching the UI video, checking the prefs, making a first test stand-alone image, launching Aperture, and confirming that Perfect Mask works as a plug-in). You can do lots of things like that with any pixel editor or graphics program. onOne offers a 30-day trial. Worth a look. I have nothing to compare it too. Imho (fwiw -- first look), slick, useful, easy to use, well-integrated, and well-stocked -- and you pay for all that.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- parenthetically expanded.

May 5, 2012 1:51 PM in response to William Mitchell

William, if the color in the background is distracting - have you tried to make the background black-and-white?

And then brush in a monochrome color, like I tried here? I found the background in this picture much to vibrant and used the brushes to tone the colours down to nearly black and white: For this kind of brushed adjustment the edge detection option is very helpful.

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

Suggestions on how to change the background color in an image?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.