Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does a student need an iPad?

I'm torn between an ipad or an iphone.

I need an iphone and i will get it sooner or later. However, i'm currently just playing the waiting game and waiting for the iphone 5 to release.

But atm, my parent is abroad and can get the new ipad 3 at a recently discounted price. So down to the question, does a student necessarily need the ipad? i got a 15inch mbp, but i do think it may be too heavy to carry around with. What is the pro of having an ipad as a student. I dont really care for the experience saying everything is bigger so therefore is better. I mean in terms of being a student, would it help me such as with iBooks? Would I be able to buy the books i need for my course in the istore at a discounted price which saves me money?

Because apart from a bigger screen, and the ibook, i cant think of anything the iphone cant do? correct me if im wrong. Because the only thing thats really attracting me is that i wont need to carry heavy books around.

Could you please suggest what other reason i may need an ipad for as a student. Compared to when using an iphone.

And for the sake of this question, if i was to get an ipad, should i get the ipad 2 or 3? new retina display, and camera, worth the extra £70 difference?

iPad 2

Posted on May 2, 2012 1:59 AM

4 replies

May 2, 2012 6:17 AM in response to 4TeenK

I have an iPad, iPhone, iMac, and 13" Macbook and recently graduated from college. Personally, I am not a fan of my iPad as much as my iPhone and Macbook. For one, it's much easier to type and utilize most applications on my Macbook. Whenever I use my iPad I feel like I could do nearly everything I do on my iPad on my iPhone, I do understand that my phone couldn't handle the super cpu heavy newest applications and that the resolution on the new iPad is killer, but hey if I'm looking to watch movies or use the resolution I'd rather have the larger screen of my macbook anyway.

Personally, If I were you, I'd stick with an iPhone and a Macbook. My iPad typically sits on my desk most of the time until I'm traveling. It's alot easier to try and take notes on a keyboard than keep up with a professor on a touch screen. All in all, it's going to boil down to preference, but to simply answer your question: a student does not need an iPad (but he or she may want one).

To answer your other questions, you'll probably have your iPhone out more than your iPad anyway. I mean, texting and slightly hiding a phone is alot easier than looking like your paying attention with an iPad out. But if you do opt for the iPad, definitely go for the 3. The resolution is a killer difference and it doesn't hurt to have the other hardware improvements. If you get the 2, by the time the 4th generation comes out, your two will seem slow as molasses on top of the line apps (if it's supported).

Please let me know if I solved your question using the buttons below, or feel free to reply to this thread if you need additional assistance.

does a student need an iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.