Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Captions with iTunes Plus?

I've read that my Apple TV 2 can't play movies in iTunes Extras format. Does this mean that the movie won't play at all, or just that the extras can't be accessed on the ATV 2?

If it's the latter, are the closed captions part of the 'extras' in iTunes Extras files, or will the captions play on the ATV 2, as they do with the (very few) captioned movies in the iTunes Store that aren't in iTunes Extras format.

Thanks in advance,

Steve = : ^ )

Apple TV (2nd generation), iOS 5.0.1, ATV Software 4.4.4

Posted on May 2, 2012 12:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2012 2:26 AM

Closed captioning is not part of iTunes extras. Whilst there are not all that many movies with closed captioning, those that have it can be played whether or not the content has iTunes extras.

6 replies

May 2, 2012 4:57 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks again. I'm sure it is content providers who decide whether or not to caption movies and TV shows and the overwhelming majority of them are captioned. It's hard to find a DVD that doesn't have captions, and they're often provided in several languages, and with an 'English for the hearing-impaired' option as well as plain English.

I can see no reason the iTunes Store can't rent and sell these files instead of the uncaptioned ones it has chosen to market.

Thanks again,

Steve = : ^ )

Captions with iTunes Plus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.