Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpectedly re-directed to an XXX website whilst browsing in Safari!!

I was quietly browsing the Daily Mail website in Safari on my new iPad when I was re-directed to a dodgy site. I wasn't even touching the screen, just reading an article and bam! The sort of stuff you don't want your kids seeing.

What could cause this to happen? Has my iPad been compromised or perhaps the Daily Mail (UK) site?

I should add I'm the only user of the iPad and I don't visit sites such as this one. I've got a couple of iMacs and a MacAir and nothing like this has ever happened on those. I've only had the iPad three weeks.

Should I be doing an erase and restore? Thanks for any comments.

Posted on May 2, 2012 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2012 3:58 AM

Just clear Safari - no need to restore.

Go to Settings>Safari>Clear History, Cookies and Data or Cache. Restart the iPad. Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2012 3:58 AM in response to Paul_31

Just clear Safari - no need to restore.

Go to Settings>Safari>Clear History, Cookies and Data or Cache. Restart the iPad. Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

May 2, 2012 4:07 AM in response to Demo

Thanks Demo - I've done that but I'm mainly concerned as to how it could happen. I've got a couple of young grandchildren and wouldn't what something like it to occur if I was showing them something in Safari (unlikely given that they are in Australia and I'm in France 🙂 ) but it's a concern that it can happen at all.

Do you know if there is some extra level of security or some blocking software available to prevent it happening again?

May 2, 2012 4:14 AM in response to Paul_31

There is no blocking software for the Safari app that I know of and I'm pretty sure that none exists at this time. I'm not sure why this happened to you, but unless it happens again, I would just chalk it up to being a fluke incident.

If you cleared Safari, you removed the cookies for that site - not that it couldn't happen again - but I would just keep an eye on the iPad while you are using Safari and wouldn't really give it a lot more though unless it happens again.

There are no virus or malware for iOS - at least to this point - so I think it was more a glitch of the website itself rather than an issue with the iOS, so I don't think that restoring the device is necessary, nor would it do any good.

May 2, 2012 4:18 AM in response to Paul_31

It's more likely whatever website you were visiting was hacked or had a virus/malware on its server. I've seen google results pages with valid looking descriptions but a whole page of results going to sites in Russia or China.

The iPad itself doesn't get viruses, but it can be succeptible to browser hijacks and malware. And it seems that the 'bad guys' of the internet are getting more and more aggressive in peddling their junk.

Unexpectedly re-directed to an XXX website whilst browsing in Safari!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.