Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Websites Using File Sharing on Server

I recently started a position where the previous person left me very little information. I am not familiar with hosting locally as I have always used GoDaddy. There are several sites set up, so I have some "template" to go off of, but I need the basics. These may be silly questions, but I'm sure someone out there can help me.

• If i purchase the domain somewhere and the multiple sites are hosted on a single IP, how can I direct to a specific folder?
  • Do I just create a folder within the volume all others are then make it a shared folder? Set the protocol options to match one that is alread there?
  • Is there a beginers guide to this, and all the settings and options available somewhere?

Any help is appreciated. If you need more information then what I provided please let me know. Thank you!

Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac OS X Server

Posted on May 2, 2012 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2012 6:49 AM

rsthilaire2008 wrote:

I recently started a position where the previous person left me very little information. I am not familiar with hosting locally as I have always used GoDaddy. There are several sites set up, so I have some "template" to go off of, but I need the basics. These may be silly questions, but I'm sure someone out there can help me.

• If i purchase the domain somewhere and the multiple sites are hosted on a single IP, how can I direct to a specific folder?
  • Do I just create a folder within the volume all others are then make it a shared folder? Set the protocol options to match one that is alread there?
  • Is there a beginers guide to this, and all the settings and options available somewhere?

Any help is appreciated. If you need more information then what I provided please let me know. Thank you!

• You don't give any server information so assuming you are using Apache, you would set up name-based virtual domains in the Appache conf files.
  • Your directory names within your server document root would correspond to the virtual names set up in the Apache conf files. Each directory would require a virtual domain setting including its own document root.
  • Look in the server documentation. For Apache try Apache.org

You should go to your server's help mamuals for help with this as it is not a Snow Leopard issue but a web server issue you have.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2012 6:49 AM in response to rsthilaire2008

rsthilaire2008 wrote:

• You don't give any server information so assuming you are using Apache, you would set up name-based virtual domains in the Appache conf files.
  • Your directory names within your server document root would correspond to the virtual names set up in the Apache conf files. Each directory would require a virtual domain setting including its own document root.
  • Look in the server documentation. For Apache try Apache.org

You should go to your server's help mamuals for help with this as it is not a Snow Leopard issue but a web server issue you have.

May 4, 2012 1:30 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

This was just the ticket! I have everything set up, everything should be pointing to the right place, as long as the screen attached is normal....User uploaded file

It worries me that it says "Connected to MacOS X Server". The techsupport as godaddy said my index file may not appear for up to 48hours. If it is still there, then panic.

Thank you for all your help!!!!! Best.

Multiple Websites Using File Sharing on Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.