Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use MainStage without owning Logic?

I use Pro Tools and Reaper in the studio, so I won't to jump ship to Logic; simply b/c however nifty it is, it's not worth the steep time-consuming learning curve. However, for live performance as a keyboardist, I'm looking for a Mac-based VST host to be controlled by a USB/MIDI keyboard controller, and am wondering if MainStage might be the way to go. The price is so cheap, how could I go wrong? But no matter where I search, I don't get a clear answer to these questions:

For a $29 download, does MainStage also come with all the content (sounds, etc.) for its built-in instruments, or is it assuming you already have those b/c you presumably own Logic?

This question may need its own separate thread, but: Ideally, my keyboard setups for a "concert" may need as many as five VSTs per song (e.g., custom samples in Kontakt, Wurly, B-3, piano, glockenspiel, whatever) spread out in various discrete layers across a keyboard. Has anyone tested this more-complex and memory-taxing sort of a setup out in a live situation?

Thanks for any insight,

Peter

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Also own G4 tower

Posted on May 2, 2012 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2012 9:22 AM

SASPro wrote:

If you buy it from the AppStore, YES

SASPro wrote:

For a $29 download, does MainStage also come with all the content (sounds, etc.) for its built-in instruments, or is it assuming you already have those b/c you presumably own Logic?

All the instrument and FX plugs are included, and a (massive) additional free download within the Mainstage application will get you all the extra content.

SASPro wrote:

This question may need its own separate thread, but: Ideally, my keyboard setups for a "concert" may need as many as five VSTs per song

Caution: Logic/Mainstage will only work with Audio Unit (AU) plugins, NOT VST. Most 3rd party plugs are available as AU plugs, but you need to make sure you have installed them.

SASPro wrote:

Has anyone tested this more-complex and memory-taxing sort of a setup out in a live situation?

Yes, and memory/CPU issues not withstanding, Mainstage generally works extremely well for this.

CCT

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2012 9:22 AM in response to SASPro

SASPro wrote:

If you buy it from the AppStore, YES

SASPro wrote:

All the instrument and FX plugs are included, and a (massive) additional free download within the Mainstage application will get you all the extra content.

SASPro wrote:

This question may need its own separate thread, but: Ideally, my keyboard setups for a "concert" may need as many as five VSTs per song

Caution: Logic/Mainstage will only work with Audio Unit (AU) plugins, NOT VST. Most 3rd party plugs are available as AU plugs, but you need to make sure you have installed them.

SASPro wrote:

Has anyone tested this more-complex and memory-taxing sort of a setup out in a live situation?

Yes, and memory/CPU issues not withstanding, Mainstage generally works extremely well for this.

CCT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.