Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing Time Capsule HDD with PC

I had my Time Capsule setup as a wireless bridge with my existing router (disabled wifi on that one). Plus my Macbook Pro was using the Time Capsule for backing up work files manually (drag and drop), not via Time Machine.

My Macbook Pro died recently and is out for repairs. In the mean time I am trying to access my work files on the Time Capsule from my Windows 7 PC. I installed Airport Utility, but it is unable to discover the Time Capsule. My routers control panel home page shows the Time Capsule's IP address as 192.168.1.110. I just can't figure out how to access it, is that even possible?

Posted on May 2, 2012 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2012 2:25 PM

It sounds like the PC is not on the same IP range as the TC and in that case it cannot connect to it, whereas perhaps the Mac could.

Just try.

open windows explorer and type in the address bar.

\\tcname or \\tcipaddress.

If it fails you will need to do the following.

Connect TC directly to the PC by ethernet.. No other network connections on computer or TC. press reset and hold it for 10sec until the front LED flashes rapidly.

This will not affect the backup only the TC setup. And you will have opportunity to save the previous profile, but that is not essential.

Once the utility has access to the TC.

1. Name the TC and wireless short names, no spaces pure alphanumeric.. The standard airport names are not SMB compliant.

2. Go to the disks page in manual setup and file sharing.. Put in the right workgroup, generally WORKGROUP.

3. It will make life much easier to use guest access with read and write permissions.

4. Go to the internet tab and in connection sharing, select off bridged mode.

Now update the TC. Turn off the pc... reconnect the TC back into the network..

You should now be able to access the TC .. open windows explorer and type in the address bar.

The airport utility should still be able to discover the IP of the TC once bridged if you don't know where it is.. You may have double NAT at the moment which prevents you finding it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2012 2:25 PM in response to jerry botticelli

It sounds like the PC is not on the same IP range as the TC and in that case it cannot connect to it, whereas perhaps the Mac could.

Just try.

open windows explorer and type in the address bar.

If it fails you will need to do the following.

Connect TC directly to the PC by ethernet.. No other network connections on computer or TC. press reset and hold it for 10sec until the front LED flashes rapidly.

This will not affect the backup only the TC setup. And you will have opportunity to save the previous profile, but that is not essential.

Once the utility has access to the TC.

1. Name the TC and wireless short names, no spaces pure alphanumeric.. The standard airport names are not SMB compliant.

2. Go to the disks page in manual setup and file sharing.. Put in the right workgroup, generally WORKGROUP.

3. It will make life much easier to use guest access with read and write permissions.

4. Go to the internet tab and in connection sharing, select off bridged mode.

Now update the TC. Turn off the pc... reconnect the TC back into the network..

You should now be able to access the TC .. open windows explorer and type in the address bar.

The airport utility should still be able to discover the IP of the TC once bridged if you don't know where it is.. You may have double NAT at the moment which prevents you finding it.

Accessing Time Capsule HDD with PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.