3 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2012 8:09 AM by Allan Jones
HackerWayne Level 1 Level 1

Hi there, I have a old Powerbook G4 15" thats having the common blue screen with cursor on startup error. Since then, Ive wipe OSX off and has been using Linux on this powerbook for some time and it works fine and i always though the blue screen issue is just a normal software issue. Recently, i decided to reformat it back to OSX 10.5, the installation went on smoothly and it completed without any issues. After rebooting, it stucks a the "blue screen with cursor" again. Heres what ive tried and some facts.

- Reseted PRAM

- Reseted PMU

- Reformatted the HDD

- Boot in Normal Mode and it stucks at blue screen v cursor

- Verbose Mode shows no signs of errors and it continues to blue screen n sits there.
- Boot in Safe Mode and it works

- Works perfectly fine with Linux

- HDD tested OK

- RAM tested OK

- Ran Disk Utility to check for permission errors.

- Tried removing Airport card.

- DVD drive removed (after installation)
- Was able to boot from 10.5 Installation DVD

- Can't do AHT (Apple Hardware Test) as i do not have the original DVDs
- Warranty is obviously over.

Does anyone has any suggestions for me? Thanks!!

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5), PowerBook G4
  • BGreg Level 6 Level 6

One thing a safe start/boot does is that it does not load the login items, so that's one thing I'd look at. Also, on System Preferences, look at any software listed at the bottom of the main window. The wrong level of something there could cause startup issues too.

• HackerWayne Level 1 Level 1

The OS is newly installed. The new account does not have a password and i didnt restore from a backup or install any softwares yet.

• Allan Jones Level 7 Level 7
    expertise.ipad
    iPad

15-inch PowerBook G4s with 1.5 and 1.67Ghz processors had a serious logic board fault that caused one RAM slot to fail. Use "About this Mac" to see if all the RAM installed is recognized, or remove one RAM module at a time and see it the computer runs properly on the other module.