Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme not recognizing Internet for only One Computer

I've had an Airport Extreme hooked up to my Motorola 6120 Surfboard in my girlfriend's apartments for a couple of months. It's been running fine, connecting iPhones, iMacs, MacBooks, MacBook Airs, everything, lots of devices. I just moved my own iMac into the house and on my machine the Airport Utility shows that there's no Internet connection from the Airport Extreme. All other machines and devices recognize it and work perfectly.

What's going on here? I've reset power multiple times. Reset all devices to defaults. Changed wireless network names. Can't think of what else to do...

Airport Extreme / iMac-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 2, 2012 3:43 PM

11 replies

May 2, 2012 4:00 PM in response to cartoondoor

Try the following, in order, until (hopefully) resolved on your iMac:

1a. Delete Preferred Network(s)

• System Preferences > Network > AirPort > Advanced > AirPort tab
  • Under "Preferred Networks," delete the network(s) you regularly use from the list.

1b. Delete AirPort Keychain Entries

• Launch the "Keychain Access" application located in Applications/Utilties.
  • Click on the "Kind" filter at the top, and look for any "AirPort network password" entries...and delete them.

1c. Add Preferred Network(s)

• System Preferences > Network > AirPort > Advanced > AirPort tab
  • Add the preferred network(s) using the "+" button.
  • Restart or log out then back in.

2. Move System Configuration Files

(Note: You will have to reestablish your network connections settings.)

• Go to /Library/Preferences
  • Move the SystemConfiguration folder to the desktop.
  • Restart your Mac. (Note: OS X will rebuild the files that are now sitting on your desktop. If this doesn't resolve the issue, you can move the folder back to it's original location.)

May 2, 2012 4:17 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the tips. I went through all these steps and no luck. The only variation was that for step two, there was no folder for "SystemConfiguration", but I did find two files labeled similarly with apple in the title as well and moved those. They were rebuilt after startup, but still showing an amber light next to Internet on the Airport Utility.

May 2, 2012 4:26 PM in response to cartoondoor

The only variation was that for step two, there was no folder for "SystemConfiguration", but I did find two files labeled similarly with apple in the title as well and moved those.

I just double-checked my OS X Lion directories and confirmed that the SystemConfiguration folder does exist. Are you sure you are looking from the System directory level and not from your user level folders? That is, Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences, NOT Macintosh HD > Users > [Username] > Library > Preferences

May 3, 2012 6:35 AM in response to Tesserax

Last night I tried reinstalling OSX Lion, but that didn't fix the problem either. Would a total reformat of the hard drive solve things any better?

Any other ideas?

If it helps, I have a 24-inch iMac. I found lots of other users with iMac wifi problems, but none with my specific problem.

To clarify my problem:

My iMac wireless worked fine just two weeks ago in its previous location, however I was dealing with an all-in-one wireless modem for DSL.

Now that I'm connecting to the Airport Express network, it can connect to the network, but thinks the modem isn't supplying an Internet connection. So, I'm seeing an exclamation point in my wireless status, and when I go to Airport Utility, it shows an amber light next to Internet and green next to Airport Express. All the other devices on the same network show a green light in both locations.

May 4, 2012 6:10 AM in response to Tesserax

Well, truly, what you propose is the exact same thing that I did, except you subtracted ~ and added Preferences. I used both with and without the ~ and no folder you described appeared within the Preferences folder.

I went ahead and reformatted the drive completely, as a clean install of Lion didn't work, and it seems to be working now. Hopefully that stays the case.

Airport Extreme not recognizing Internet for only One Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.