Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resurrecting an old MacBook

I am resurrecting an old MacBook from late 2007. I picked up a new 85 watt PS and while the mb runs while plugged in it says not charging. Is there a way to tell if it is just a bad battery or if it is something else?

I was going to max out the RAM to 4 GB and put an SSD in it, will the new series of SSDs work in an older MacBook? Am I wasting my time with it? It is replacing a 2006 mini that is not compatible with Lion so almost anything is an improvement. And a new MB Pro is not in the cards.

Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Late 2007

Posted on May 2, 2012 4:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2012 6:12 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

, About This Mac, More Info..., Hardware, Power should produce a display like this, telling how many cycles are on the battery, and condition. Regardless of cycle count (300 is considered 'average') if the battery won't hold a charge, the message will probably read 'Replace Battery'

If no battery info is displayed, it's absolutely time to replace the battery.

User uploaded file

The display shows a 2-year old replacement battery which has lost over 20% of original capacity.

A new battery should have about 5500 mAh capacity.

I've only upgraded mechanical drives, no SSD's yet, so I can't help you with that question. I've purchased several RAM and disk upgrades from OtherWorldComputing (www.macsales.com), a great source of info about upgrading Apple hardware.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2012 6:12 PM in response to mleeber

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

, About This Mac, More Info..., Hardware, Power should produce a display like this, telling how many cycles are on the battery, and condition. Regardless of cycle count (300 is considered 'average') if the battery won't hold a charge, the message will probably read 'Replace Battery'

If no battery info is displayed, it's absolutely time to replace the battery.

User uploaded file

The display shows a 2-year old replacement battery which has lost over 20% of original capacity.

A new battery should have about 5500 mAh capacity.

I've only upgraded mechanical drives, no SSD's yet, so I can't help you with that question. I've purchased several RAM and disk upgrades from OtherWorldComputing (www.macsales.com), a great source of info about upgrading Apple hardware.

Resurrecting an old MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.