Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error occured while installing updates for itunes 10.6.1

I have been having issues lately trying to install my updates to iTunes. I keep getting an error message that says "Error occurred while installing the updates. If the problem persists, choose Tools > Download Only and try installing manually." This happened on the last update as well, and the install manually didn't work. I eventually had to uninstall iTunes and reinstall the latest version. But, if I keep doing this, I have to re-add all of my music folders, and recreate all of my playlists for every single update that comes out. That means like once a week. Does anyone know why I keep getting this message?

I have submitted a screenshot if that helps.User uploaded file

Also, I am running windows 7 on my computer. Thank you

Windows 7

Posted on May 2, 2012 6:19 PM

7 replies

May 2, 2012 7:08 PM in response to Skidwiz

Perhaps try a repair install of your Apple Software Update. Restart the PC, go into your Uninstall a program control panel, select "iTunes" and click "Repair".

If the repair goes through okay (and you still have a 10.6.1.7 install queued up), are you able to update to the new iTunes version via ASU now?

May 2, 2012 8:03 PM in response to b noir

Okay, I opened the folder and deleted the setupadmin file located in the folder. I then attempted to update again, and I still got the same message. incidently, I did watch the updates folder as the download updated, and the file itunes(64) shows up while it is downloading, and then dissappears when the error pops up, if that means anything.

May 2, 2012 8:19 PM in response to Skidwiz

Hmmm. I was wondering if it was an issue with a broken setupadmin.exe mucking up the works (because it's a tiny little file). But it's apparently the itunes64.msi causing us grief.

Plausibly, we might be looking at a disk/file damage thing that is preventing the msis and so forth from saving correctly. If so, running a disk check (chkdsk) over your C:\ Drive might help.

Windows 7 instructions in the following document: How to use CHKDSK (Check Disk)

Select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, or use chkdsk /r (depending on which way you decide to go about doing this). You'll almost certainly have to schedule the chkdsk to run on startup. The scan should take quite a while ... if it quits after a few minutes or seconds, something's interfering with the scan.

Does the chkdsk find/repair any damage? If so, can you get an install to go through properly afterwards?

error occured while installing updates for itunes 10.6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.