Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what will causes rotation not working???

iPad 2

Posted on May 3, 2012 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2012 5:07 AM

Is your screen rotation locked?

14 replies

May 8, 2012 12:53 PM in response to carol_cnk

FRUSTRATED WITH SCREEN ROTATION

I have read every blog, followed all advice provided, and still cannot rotate the screen in my ipad2. I had this issue once before about 6 months ago, and one day it just started turning again with no explanation. For last couple weeks, screen rotation decided not to work again. I have gone to settings and switched to rotate lock and then mute - neither makes a difference. I closed all open apps, restarted computer - neither made a difference. HELP!

May 8, 2012 12:59 PM in response to LVschauers

Is there a lock symbol at the top of the screen next to the battery indicator ? If so, then depending on what you've got Settings > General > Use Side Switch To set to (rotation lock or mute notifications), then you can lock/unlock the rotation by the switch on the right hand side of the iPad, or via the taskbar : double-click the home button; slide from the left; and it's the icon far left; press home again to exit the taskbar. The function that isn't on the side switch is set via the taskbar instead : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

If there isn't a lock symbol then try a reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

May 16, 2012 3:47 AM in response to lilu25fl

Since nothing else seems to be working that you have tried - and I assume that you did try both of King Penguin's suggestions - try closing all apps in the task bar and restart the iPad. It can't hurt anything and maybe there is some app conflict that is causing the screen to not rotate.

Go to the home screen first by tapping the home button. Quit/close open apps by double tapping the home button and the task bar will appear with all of your recent/open apps displayed at the bottom. Tap and hold down on any app icon until it begins to wiggle. Tap the minus ➖ sign in the upper left corner to close the apps. Restart the iPad. Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

Dec 8, 2012 2:29 AM in response to carol_cnk

Im not sure if is a BUG or feature but that is what can make it locked:

1. When the side switch is configured to Rotation lock (Settings > General > Use Side Switch To set to rotation lock) and then locking the switch.

2. Going back to the switch setting and choose the side switch as Mute.

Result:

The rotatin is still locked and cant be changed unless setting the

side switch to Rotation and unlocking the switch.

Try it...

As it know for developers sometimes BUG is know as a FEATUREA...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.