Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wait a minute... all the ringtones I purchased through iTunes cannot be used on my iPhone?

I have downloaded a number of ringtones through iTunes and now I am synching my iPhone.

Is it true that ringtones purchased on a PC cannot be transfered to an iPhone via iTunes???

That seems rediculous.

Is there a way to get around this - or can you at least post a warning so others don't waste so much money???

Posted on May 3, 2012 8:58 AM

6 replies

May 3, 2012 9:22 AM in response to gdgmacguy

From Apple Support:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1491

Tones

Ringtones and alert tones cannot be purchased from your computer, but can be purchased using your iOS device with iOS 5 or later. Tones can be purchased on iPad, iPhone (3GS or later), and iPod touch (4th generation or later).

...so knicker guy - how exactly can I get a ringtone that I downloaded from iTunes on my PC to work on my iPhone? After spending over an hour trying to do it, everything is in a twist 🙂

If you know how I can do it, please share.

May 3, 2012 10:31 AM in response to tonefox

Thanks Tonefox!

It took me forever to get the "Tones" option to show up in my menu along the left side of iTunes.

(Under main menu in iTunes, hit "Edit", the "Preferences" and under "General", make sure "Tones" is checked).

Now there are no songs or tones in the "Tones" folder - even though I have a number of ringtones that should be there.

I tried changing the file type to mpr, deleting and reloading....

Finally I bought an App called "Ringtone" for 99 cents. I can play any song on my iPhone, then it converts it into a ringtone. I then have to email it to myself, and open it up on my PC.

It finally appears under "Tones" in iTunes on my PC.

All becasuse I wanted to assign a silent ringtone to a telemarketer that won't leave me alone (AT&T will block numbers for a monthly fee I wasn't willing to pay).

Whew!

Wait a minute... all the ringtones I purchased through iTunes cannot be used on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.