Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

malware transfer to new iMac from infected old Mac via cable co. modem?

I have just replaced an old eMac (Tiger) which had verified malware (spent a long time in Community Discussions to find this out). In those discussions I learned that a router could transfer malware to other computers in my house (I don't have others), which I found to be alarming. My concern now is because I have just heard from someone I know (who has a much more elaborate system for his job) that he had malware transfer from his old system to a new one via a connection cable.

I am now wondering if I am connected to cable company modem via (new) ethernet cable, could the modem transfer malware?

Thank you in advance for any help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 3, 2012 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2012 11:55 AM

I think I found your old discussion where that came up (two Java items and a phishing e-mail), and none of the malware you mentioned is Mac malware. So you're fine, as far as that goes. I'd encourage you to read my Mac Malware Guide.

As to malware spreading on its own through a router to other computers, that may be possible in the Windows world (though I doubt it could even then without a very specific set of circumstances), but not in the Mac world at this point in time. The only malware in the Mac world that can infect you without your active assistance is completely impotent if you have installed the latest updates in Software Update.

(Note that my pages contain links to other pages that promote my services, and this should not be taken as an endorsement of my services by Apple.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2012 11:55 AM in response to V.A.P.

I think I found your old discussion where that came up (two Java items and a phishing e-mail), and none of the malware you mentioned is Mac malware. So you're fine, as far as that goes. I'd encourage you to read my Mac Malware Guide.

As to malware spreading on its own through a router to other computers, that may be possible in the Windows world (though I doubt it could even then without a very specific set of circumstances), but not in the Mac world at this point in time. The only malware in the Mac world that can infect you without your active assistance is completely impotent if you have installed the latest updates in Software Update.

(Note that my pages contain links to other pages that promote my services, and this should not be taken as an endorsement of my services by Apple.)

malware transfer to new iMac from infected old Mac via cable co. modem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.