Previous 1 2 Next 21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2015 7:12 PM by gchu4mkay
PhotoMacGuy Level 1 Level 1

When I view a PDF in Safari it looks good. When I go to print it either the preview is totally blank or one page that I was viewing at the time previews and the print dialog box shows the additional 8 pages but they are all blank. I'm baffled. If I use Chrome and go from its interface to preview it works perfectly. Thank you for any guidance.

Solved by Carolyn Samit on May 3, 2012 2:35 PM Solved

Hi...

Try this..

Go to   /Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Move the Adobe PDF Browser plugin  (or just PDF browser plugin) to the Trash.

Quit then relaunch Safari to test.

Reply by Linc Davis on May 3, 2012 2:40 PM Helpful

Quit Safari. In the Finder, select Go ▹ Go to Folder... from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-G. Copy the line of text below into the box that opens, and press return:

/Library/Internet Plug-ins

From the folder that opens, remove any items that have the letters “PDF” in the name. You may be prompted for your login password. Then launch Safari and test.

If you still have the issue, repeat with this line:

~/Library/Internet Plug-ins

If you don’t like the results of this procedure, restore the items from the backup you made before you started. Relaunch Safari again.

Reply by PhotoMacGuy on May 15, 2012 11:19 AM Helpful

Yes it did work for me also. I some how did not complete the notafaction process.

My thanks to all who helped.

All replies

• Richard Gilpin Level 2 Level 2

I have the exact same problem.  In addition to not being able to print the PDF, I cannot download it.   When I try to download, I get only a dialog box stating that Safari cannot export the document.  This started yesterday when I tried to download one document, a state tax-form.  Today I still cannot download that form, and now I cannot download an entirely different form from another source.   And the problem is getting worse.  This morning I downloaded one document (an IRS tax form) successfully.  An hour later I had to download that document again, and this time Safari would not let me.

Firefox does not work either.   Only Chrome--so far--is working.

I emptied Safari's cache, but that did not change anything.

• PhotoMacGuy Level 1 Level 1

Yes Chrome dose seem to work. It seem like it take an extra click when Safari was woking it was wonderful. Hoping someone will be able to help. I'm sad for you but glad to know it is not just me

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.applications
    Applications

Quit Safari.

Open the Library folder in your home folder as follows:

If running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, hold down the option key and select Go ▹ Library from the Finder menu bar.

If running an older version of Mac OS X, select Go ▹ Go to Folder… from the Finder menu bar and enter “~/Library” (without the quotes) in the text box that opens.

Delete the following items from the Library folder:

Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Preferences/com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist

Preferences/QuickTime Preferences

Relaunch Safari and test.

Sorry to say that did not seem to help.

• Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.safari
    Safari

Hi...

Try this..

Go to   /Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Move the Adobe PDF Browser plugin  (or just PDF browser plugin) to the Trash.

Quit then relaunch Safari to test.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.applications
    Applications

Quit Safari. In the Finder, select Go ▹ Go to Folder... from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-G. Copy the line of text below into the box that opens, and press return:

/Library/Internet Plug-ins

From the folder that opens, remove any items that have the letters “PDF” in the name. You may be prompted for your login password. Then launch Safari and test.

If you still have the issue, repeat with this line:

~/Library/Internet Plug-ins

If you don’t like the results of this procedure, restore the items from the backup you made before you started. Relaunch Safari again.

My thanks to both you and Linc. This was just driving me nuts.

Craig

• peter10014 Level 1 Level 1

I had the same problem.  It started a week or so ago.

Following your advice, I went into HD/Library/Internet Plug-Ins and then trashed the newest Adobe viewer plug in (from 4/10/12. There were two).  It was called:

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

Anyway it worked after restarting Safari.  Thanks.

Yes it did work for me also. I some how did not complete the notafaction process.

My thanks to all who helped.

• MidnightVoice Level 1 Level 1

I was having this problem then I discoveres if I hovered my mouse over the bottom of the page a translucent black toolbar arrived with a print icon on it.  This worked

• nb2k Level 1 Level 1

This worked for me, too. Twice now. Somehow the plugin got re-installed. Both times, was able to print PDF after I deleted the AdobePDGViewerNPAPI.plugin.

• David Welter Level 1 Level 1

Worked like a charm in OS 10.6.8. A big "thank you".

• peterfromleicester Level 1 Level 1

Best advice on the page - thanks!  No mucking about deleting plugins etc.

• peety99 Level 1 Level 1

Carolyn & Linc,

Taking out the pdf plug-in worked for me too.  Thanks Linc for the detail on how to get to the Library.  That helped a lot.  Question is though how do we avoid installing the pdf plug-in?

Previous 1 2 Next