Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving to iCloud will delete my Smart Mailboxes?

Currently, I read that moving to iCloud will delete all of my Smart Mailboxes. I have about 40 of them and I own a business and this feature helps me organize my emails. I haven't moved to iCloud for this reason. They say the deadline is June 30th. Is there any way that Apple will leave this feature in once I move to iCloud?

Mail-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 3, 2012 12:57 PM

23 replies

May 29, 2012 4:10 PM in response to kcreative

I was about to finally update to iCloud when I froze seeing the "Smart Mailboxes" listed on the warnings...I spent 10 minutes on chat with Apple Support...and they too told me that Smart Mailboxes were not working with iCloud and (believe it or not) referred me to THIS PAGE in the forums for a more complete answer! Anyway...in reading that some have updated to iCloud and still have Smart Mailboxes that work (and asking the Chat person whether that would extend after June 30...to which she didn't have an answer!#$%*#@#$!!!! - who have they turned into....Miscrosoft????) ANYWAY...I went back, slowed down and actually READ the warning (and the Learn More link) and I believe the answer is that they will no longer SYNC after iCloud. It didn't make sense to me that iCloud could interfere with the workings of the Mail Application itself...but I'll be interested to see other responses. For now, I believe that the issue is not that they will be DELETED...but they WILL NOT SYNC. Will be happy to hear from other users.....

May 29, 2012 4:29 PM in response to lj2585

lj2585 wrote:

I was about to finally update to iCloud when I froze seeing the "Smart Mailboxes" listed on the warnings...I spent 10 minutes on chat with Apple Support...and they too told me that Smart Mailboxes were not working with iCloud and (believe it or not) referred me to THIS PAGE in the forums for a more complete answer! Anyway...in reading that some have updated to iCloud and still have Smart Mailboxes that work (and asking the Chat person whether that would extend after June 30...to which she didn't have an answer!#$%*#@#$!!!! - who have they turned into....Miscrosoft????) ANYWAY...I went back, slowed down and actually READ the warning (and the Learn More link) and I believe the answer is that they will no longer SYNC after iCloud. It didn't make sense to me that iCloud could interfere with the workings of the Mail Application itself...but I'll be interested to see other responses. For now, I believe that the issue is not that they will be DELETED...but they WILL NOT SYNC. Will be happy to hear from other users.....

Smart mailboxes don't 'sync' in Lion, just as they did not 'sync' in Snow Leopard. A smart mailbox is merely a saved search, no mail is actually in it. Your smart mailbox searches should transfer to iCloud but even if they don't you can just make them again.

May 29, 2012 5:23 PM in response to Csound1

Well...if that's the case, then why does the screen say...QUOTE... "These MobileMe features will not be available: You will no longer be able to SYNC Mac Dashboard Widgets, Dock Items, Keychains, Preferences, Mail Accounts, Rules, SIgnatures and Smart Mailboxes after moving to iCloud" Then they have a "Learn More" link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4898, entitled "iCloud: MobileMe services that no longer sync after moving to iCloud".

May 30, 2012 7:49 AM in response to Julian Wright

Hi Julian,

Not to disagree but I have 6 smart mailboxes, all were created while I was using Mobile Me, they all transferred to iCloud when I migrated. They are present in Mail on all connected devices as well as on the iCloud website. The content of the mailboxes is identical from machine to machine, I don't think they are syncing, but the mail is because it is Imap, all the smart mailboxes have the same rules which explains why they 'appear' to stay in sync.

May 30, 2012 11:42 AM in response to Csound1

If they are present on the iCloud website, then they are not "Smart" Mailboxes that we are referring to here. Smart Mailboxes only live on your computer locally. However, in MobileMe these Smart Mailboxes would sync to other MobileMe connected computers.

Try creating a new Smart Mailbox now, and you'll find it won't appear at iCloud.com and won't appear on your other computers in Mail.

A regular (non-Smart) mailbox will appear at iCloud.com and appear in Mail on other computers, iOS devices.

Moving to iCloud will delete my Smart Mailboxes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.