Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Another multiple AppleIDs question

I, like many, have an AppleID that I have used for many years for iTunes purchases, long before Mac.com. I later got a Mac.com account and have used that AppleID for everything (including AppStore purchases on the Mac [that's only been one or two apps...and, Lion]) except iTunes purchases and my AppStore and iCloud accounts on my iOS devices. I've now converted my MobileMe account to iCloud. Apple seems to recommend using the iTunes ID only for iTunes and the MobileMe/iCloud ID for everything else. When I got my iPad and iPhone at the end of last year, the recommendation seemed to be that I use the iTunes ID to set up those devices (I was still using Snow Leopard on my Mac at the time and only moved to Lion this past week). Are there any negative consequences to keeping things as I've described above?

Posted on May 3, 2012 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2012 1:41 PM

Apple actually recommend using the same Apple ID for everything. However if you have purchased content using a different ID for your iTunes account, you must continue to use it or you will you lose access to protected content, apps and books.
If you have been using a different Apple ID for iCloud and have now established your contacts, calendars etc, it is possible to transfer that data, however is likely to be more trouble than it is worth. The iCloud account and iTunes accounts are entirely different accounts, you will have no problem using different Apple IDs for each.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2012 1:41 PM in response to rdosh

Apple actually recommend using the same Apple ID for everything. However if you have purchased content using a different ID for your iTunes account, you must continue to use it or you will you lose access to protected content, apps and books.
If you have been using a different Apple ID for iCloud and have now established your contacts, calendars etc, it is possible to transfer that data, however is likely to be more trouble than it is worth. The iCloud account and iTunes accounts are entirely different accounts, you will have no problem using different Apple IDs for each.

May 3, 2012 1:54 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Clarifying my question, which I think you have answered unless there's something else I'm not considering, my iTunes/iCloud account handles all of my data syncing, media purchases, and iOS app purchases. My MobileMe/iCloud account handles only mail and Mac App Store purchases. Since I use the me.com email address, I can't move mail to the other account and I don't think that I can move my media and iOS purchases to the me.com account. If I'm wrong about this, please tell me.

Another multiple AppleIDs question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.