Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Note Taking: Free cross-platform app?

hey guys, i really love how i can use firefox on multiple machines because of its cross platform nature. i've been using Word 2007 to take notes, and it's ok, but i think there must be something better out there. i like the idea of having tabs like in Firefox for different topics to right notes about like 'to buy at shops', 'to pickup after work' etc. is there anything like this out there?

thanks

Mac mini

Posted on May 3, 2012 1:14 PM

13 replies

May 4, 2012 6:02 AM in response to petermac87

It may be, but people come in here who take things more seriously, and should also know not to speculate as to its capabilities. And some people in here don't know Mountain Lion hasn't been released, and might take it as an indication that it has, or someone in the know who is beta testing Lion has been allowed to give some pre-release insight.

May 4, 2012 8:30 AM in response to ThunderCon

Everynote is my cross platform notes app of choice (very useful when furniture shopping as I can take pictures and notes, or even videos of items I'm interesting in).

You could also use Google Documents. I've found it very useful when building lists of tasks with my wife as we can both be updating the document at the same time (we used a Google spreadsheet for that).

May 4, 2012 8:36 AM in response to Matthew Morgan

Matthew Morgan wrote:

Notes works with iCloud, so when you create or edit a note on your Mac, it automatically updates on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

And Outlook 2007 or greater, because iCloud is cross platform.

Still, after trying it, the cross-platform capabilities of Notes are not very strong. I can create notes in iCloud on either my iPad or Outlook, but the iPad can't see the Outlook notes. Outlook can see all the notes, but can't edit them. I don't know if Mountain Lion will improve this or not.

I say just get an iPad instead 🙂

May 4, 2012 8:56 AM in response to Matthew Morgan

It is still unreleased. And to suggest something in the future, you have to assume that everything in that future application is going to work with your present environment. You don't know that. How much of that syncing between the devices is going to work as intended by the user is still an unknown variable. You can always submit feedback here, if certain features you can't find in the present one you want in the new release:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Note Taking: Free cross-platform app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.