Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Utility won't accept password, though it's the same that I'm using for my wi-fi access.

Hello,

First-time asker, multi-time reader. Could not find this situation exactly in other posts.

I’m having trouble accessing two different Airports.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme 802.11n (4th generation) handling the wi-fi for 3 laptops and 2 iPhones, but I needed to extend the range within the home one room so I got a Airport Express.

It’s showing up in the Airport Utility when I try to set it up, but each time I try it asks me to “enter the password for the selected airport wireless device.”

I type in the password I use when I need to access the wifi (the “WEP” password I guess?), but it’s never accepted. I’ve tried this on 3 of the Macs.

After reading some relevant comments here, I confirmed this as the “Airport network password” with the Keychain on 2 Macs. My Keychain does not show a “Base station password” at all.

I typed it in on 3 different keyboards, no caps lock, etc.

I’ve tied adding “$” and using “public,” to no avail.

I’m assuming that the password it’s asking for is the same password same as WEP password, the one that’s used when a friend visits and wants to use my wi-fi instead of 3G. It’s my network password. Is that right? Or is there some other password needed? My Keychain does not show a “Base station password” at all.

It does this for the existing Extreme as well as the Express.

It asks for the password whether I try to update the firmware as directed (7.4.2 to 7.6.1 for the Express, 7.5.1 to 7.6.1 for the Extreme), or if I click “Manual” to set up the Express.

Same thing happens using the Apple Airport Utility App on my iPhone.

I did the factory res-et thing on the Express, and it showed up with a generic name described as “with factory-default settings” so then I clicked Continue. This brought up the box saying “Are you sure you want to switch wireless networks? Setting up this AirPort wireless device requires switching wireless networks. Switching wireless networks may interrupt your connection to the Internet.”

I don’t want to switch, I want to add the Express to the existing Extreme network, so I’m (ignorantly) hesitant to say yes. Besides, it will probably just ask for a password, so I’m back to square one.

I’m mainly working on a Second Gen MacBookAir (3,2), Intel Core 2 Duo with AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xD1), Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.42.4) 802.11 a/b/g/n. But this situation is the same on multiple Macs and iPhones.

All my devices work fine on w-fi, but none can access the Airports using the password as mentioned above with the goal of updating firmware and setting up the Express.

So anyone have any suggestions for this issue the password problem?

Just Wonderin.

Thanks so much.

AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Gen), Mac OS X (10.6.8), AP Extreme 802.11n 4th gen

Posted on May 3, 2012 1:36 PM

There are no replies.

Airport Utility won't accept password, though it's the same that I'm using for my wi-fi access.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.