Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are new directory users unable to login to iChat/jabberd?

I have a couple of new users I've added to our directory recently. They are unable to connect to our internal jabber (iChat) server. Users that have connected previously are experiencing no difficulty.

A quick overview of the layout of the system: two XServes, one is OD primary (aspen) the other is OD replica and iChat server (vail). I've modded some config files (long ago) to allow user IDs for jabber to be user@ourcompany.office instead of user@vail.ourcompany.office. It works quite nicely.

Excerpt from the logs shows a failed login attempt followed by a successful login attempt. Successful logins are happening from Messages (beta), iChat under Snow Leopard, and Pidgin under windows. Failing logins are all from iChat under Snow Leopard. Please ask questions, I'm happy to add any other pertinent data!

May 3 16:21:45 vail jabberd/c2s[99718]: [13] [::ffff:10.255.170.122, port=52584] connect

May 3 16:21:47 vail jabberd/c2s[99718]: [13] [::ffff:10.255.170.122, port=52584] disconnect jid=unbound, packets: 2

May 3 16:22:19 vail jabberd/c2s[99718]: [13] [::ffff:10.255.170.121, port=51608] connect

May 3 16:22:19 vail jabberd/c2s[99718]: od_auth_check_service_membership: checking user "jwells" access for service "chat"

May 3 16:22:19 vail jabberd/c2s[99718]: od_auth_check_service_membership: mbr_check_service_membership returned 2

May 3 16:22:19 vail jabberd/c2s[99718]: od_auth_check_service_membership: no access restrictions found

May 3 16:22:19 vail jabberd/c2s[99718]: [13] legacy authentication succeeded: host=ourcompany.office, username=jwells, resource=JWells’ Computer

May 3 16:22:19 vail jabberd/c2s[99718]: [13] requesting session: jid=jwells@ourcompany.office/JWells’ Computer

May 3 16:22:19 vail jabberd/sm[99716]: session started: jid=jwells@ourcompany.office/JWells’ Computer

Looking for any and all assistance. Thanks much!!

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 3, 2012 1:42 PM

5 replies

May 14, 2012 2:17 PM in response to Tim Harris

Tim, thank you for jumping in! I was afraid this question was going to languish.

Snow Leopard is indeed listed twice. It is listed once as being successful as our existing users are able to login to the jabber service from there. It is also listed as being the sole operating system from which logins are failing as our new directory users are only using that platform.

Only one machine is using Lion and that's the one using the Messages Beta and that's working just fine. I provided all of the client information, but I don't believe it's truly relevant. I'm pretty sure that the issue is on the server side. ...I just have NO idea what the problem is!

May 16, 2012 7:25 AM in response to Tim Harris

Tim, the issue is presenting on multiple client machines and follows the user. It only happens with new directory users who have never logged into iChat before.

Is there anything I can do to trick jabberd into accepting the connection? Can I add the users via autobuddy or something along those lines. Based on the logs I really don't understand where the authentication failure is happening.

Why are new directory users unable to login to iChat/jabberd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.