Skip navigation

My Safari doesn't format correctly

934 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2012 6:16 PM by Carolyn Samit RSS
MikeSJC Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 3, 2012 1:40 PM

I'm running Safari 5.1.5 (6534.55.3) on a Mac mini with 1 GB RAM- older November 2007 model that has 1GB on it now and only goes up to 2GB. It had Leopard on it (it was my fathers) and appears to have lost it's ability to format correctly (style sheet missing kinda thing). I upgraded it to Snow Leopard in the hope that the upgrade would fix it, but it hasn't. It basically just shows text in bullets down the screen, but no graphics, no formatting. I tried this on several sites of course - apple.com, cnn.com, etc but no luck.

Can anyone help me with an easy fix to this? I've tried resetting Safari, emptying cache, etc.

Thanks!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (84,050 points)
    May 3, 2012 2:37 PM (in response to MikeSJC)

Hi Mike ..

Check Safari > Preferences > Advanced

Where you see:  Style sheet

Click the pop up menu the select:  None Selected

Quit then relaunch Safari to test.

Shouln't have problems with CSS unless there's a third party unsupported add on installed that's causing a conflict and I doubt even with just 1GB of RAM installed, that would necessarily causing issues with style sheets on a browser.

Try troubleshooting > Safari: Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues

BTW, you can upgrade the RAM yourself >  Mac mini: How to remove or install memory

Crucial comes highly recommended here in the ASC forums.

You can use their scanner tool here >  SDRAM, DDR2 and DDR RAM memory upgrades from Crucial.com

• Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (84,050 points)
    May 3, 2012 6:16 PM (in response to MikeSJC)

Mike...

If you got the original install discs that came with the Mini, might be a good idea to run the Apple Hardware Test

That way you can rule out any hardware issues.

Snow Leopard's min requirements for RAM is 1GB >  Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard - Technical Specifications

Just streaming video uses mega amounts of RAM and can tax the CPU.

RAM is cheap and well worth upgrading for overall performance on the Mini, not just a browser.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.