Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 10.6.8 dvd player stopped working

OS 10.6.8 dvd player stopped working (stutters - no sound) when I am in my usual log-in but does work in my alternate (checking) log-in, disk permissions repair did not help. I trashed a dvd.plist file from my users/Library/Preferences folder but no change. Any suggestions most welcome.

Mac Pro (Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 3, 2012 1:40 PM

10 replies

May 4, 2012 10:43 PM in response to RatVega™

Thanks for the response.

Permissions Repairs did not help, including when Disk Utility was run from Install Disk.

Safe Boot did not help.

Optical drive _does_ work for CDs (music & images) and works for DVDs too when I log in on my checking user/administrator account.

Upgrade to current version of Disk Warrior on the way (by mail).

I'm thinking I'll have to reinstall Snow Leopard (sigh).

First really annoying problem on my early 2009 MacPro.

May 6, 2012 12:15 PM in response to knutegj

knutegj wrote:

OS 10.6.8 dvd player stopped working (stutters - no sound) when I am in my usual log-in but does work in my alternate (checking) log-in

If the optical drive works in your other account what makes you think a reinstall is going to cure anything if you continue to use the old account?

See if a smc or pram reset changes anything.

Try booting in safe mode.

May 7, 2012 12:22 PM in response to X423424X

Sorry, forgot to mention that I had tried SMC & PRAM resets with no improvement. Safe boot did not help either.

My rationale for a reinstall is that the Apple DVD Player software is somehow conflicting with some application that launches in my (main) user account but that does not launch in my relatively pristine checking account. Unfortunately, that is quite a few potential suspects. Before I try the old 'deactivate half, reboot, check problem status, deactivate the other half, reboot, check problem status' approach I thought — hoped, actually — that a reinstall might resolve whatever software conflict is going on without the labour-intensive checking process.

The maddening thing is that the Apple DVD Player is the _only_ application that is giving me any problem at this time.

May 7, 2012 12:55 PM in response to knutegj

My rationale for a reinstall is that the Apple DVD Player software is somehow conflicting with some application that launches in my (main) user account but that does not launch in my relatively pristine checking account.

The problem with that theory is that if it does indeed still fail when booting in safe mode then all system wide launchagents, launchdaemons, and your accounts launchagents and login items are suppressed.

What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

May 7, 2012 9:12 PM in response to X423424X

I take your point but I was just going through a safe reboot to see what happened - and I confirmed that it is not possible to launch DVD Player in safe mode - so there is no way to test any effect of safe mode on my problem (DVD Player not functioning). That is what I meant by safe boot not helping either. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

May 7, 2012 9:50 PM in response to knutegj

I cannot understand why the dvd player would work in one account and not another even in safe mode. Did you remove the following two items?

~/Library/Application Support/DVD Player (folder)

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist

Both in your home directory.

Of course you could just forget about it and use vlc? It's a better player anyhow.

May 7, 2012 11:13 PM in response to X423424X

Thanks for reminding me about VLC Player. I had an old version that I occasionally used for AVIs and such but I hadn't used it for quite awhile. Of course, it works perfectly so I'll take your advice and (sort of) forget about the Apple DVD Player - although I hate having a glitch that I can't get to the bottom of.

For example, removing both of those items made no difference.

Re: the two accounts when in safe mode, DVD Player doesn't work at all in safe mode...

(http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564)

so that didn't get me any farther.

No doubt when I eventually upgrade to Lion the DVD Problem will sort itself out. Until then, I have good ole' VLC. I appreciate the help.

OS 10.6.8 dvd player stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.