Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repartitioning bootcamp...

I am attempting to restore a bootcamp partition I had with Windows 7 on it. I backed up the partition by making an iso in terminal, which probably wasn't the best thing to do. This iso is about 100GB and on my main partition and an external hard drive I have. Using disk utility I deleted the boot camp partition and resized it to 225GB. After I resized it I used termial to try and restore the iso by using the command "sudo dd if=~/Bootcamp.iso of=/dev/disk0s4" Then after a long long time all of my files are back on the new boot camp partition, but all of the sudden it is only 100GB. Where did the other 125GB go? Also, I can't boot to the drive by holding the option key since the drive isn't listed. What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 3, 2012 3:19 PM

22 replies

May 3, 2012 3:36 PM in response to Grahf85

You can't do what you are trying to do. It will not work. First off OS X can not Write to NTFS formatted partitions. Windows will only install and run on a partitiion formatted NTFS. The only way to format a partition NTFS on a Mac it to use a Version of Windows. The only way to use a version of Windows on a Mac to format a partition NTFS is to use Boot Camp to install it and during the Windows install format the partition NTFS.

So it looks like you are doing everything wrong.

May 3, 2012 3:57 PM in response to Grahf85

Is the partition formatted NTFS? If it is OS X is NOT writing to it. It may be taking part of it and changing it to FAT32 but it is not writing to a NTFS partition. It can't.

Will you be able to use the ISO after a reinstall of Windows? No I don't think you can. You have to use some other program to backup and restore a boot camp windows partition. I forget the name of that program.

Repartitioning bootcamp...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.