Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just purchased an iPod nano 6th generation online. I'm reading all the documentation, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to see if my battery is fully charged. On my old ipod 2, the light stayed yellow until the iPod was fully charged.

The battery indicator is very tiny on the iPod, and there are no photos in the documentation to tell me what it looks like when the battery is full or partially charged. I wish they had put in a battery app to show how much the battery is charged. This is very annoying.

iPod nano, Windows 7

Posted on May 3, 2012 4:25 PM

9 replies

May 4, 2012 11:57 AM in response to planb77

I wish something like that had been in the documentation I found, but it still does not correspond to what I am seeing. When my iPod is not plugged in to charge, I see a black icon which is not like any of those shown; it's solid black, even though I charged it for hours. When I plug it in, I see a black icon with a white plus in it, nothing like a lightning bolt. I have never seen any red or green in the icon. So, I question whether the above icons are the ones that the nano generation 6 uses. I guess it's possible that the battery is defective, but so far the iPod is functioning normally.

May 4, 2012 1:19 PM in response to planb77

Yes, white on black was turned on. I don't think I turned it on. Now, I see a solid green icon on some screens. I hate the means of navigation used. I find it very difficult to get to where I want to go and make changes. Also, I see it as green in Settings, but when I return to the main menu now it is white and not green. Very bizarre behavior.

Nov 16, 2013 5:35 AM in response to planb77

Well, having come to this site after a lot of Googling, I feel bound to add to the story for anyone else coming across this oddity in the iPod Nano 7th Generation (IPN7 from now on).

If you look carefully at page 9 of the User Guide, you will see that the battery icon is shown as a white bar. Exactly what I see on my IPN7. The white bar turns progressively black with depletion. I assume that this is the same as referred to above. In some apps, including 'Settings', it is green as shown on page 14. Disconcertingly, it is very inconsistent, even if repeatable. For example, when the Podcasts screen on page 20 shows it is green, but, as you can see on page 21, the playback page goes back to the black and white version.

As a newcomer to Apple products, which have a very enthusiastic support in the communiity, I am very surprised that they don't fix these little silly bugs. I wasted nearly an hour finding out why the icon was white and not sure whether it was white = charged or white is discharged, since it is not green!

Nov 16, 2013 8:54 PM in response to StupidOne

StupidOne wrote:

I am very surprised that they don't fix these little silly bugs.

Don't be! Apple will not do anything if they are unaware of such things. Did you submit a feedback or a bug report for Apple to review? It's the only way Apple knows about these things and complaints since this is a user to user message board which Apple does not come to.

User uploaded file

I just purchased an iPod nano 6th generation online. I'm reading all the documentation, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to see if my battery is fully charged. On my old ipod 2, the light stayed yellow until the iPod was fully charged.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.