Currently Being ModeratedMay 3, 2012 7:02 PM (in response to David Bartosic)
I would strongly recommend iDVD for making movies.
IDVD is specifically designed to work with iMovie. I also use and own toast. However, for making movies iDVD is easier to use and will give better results.
IDVD is easy to get. You will find it on the iLife 09 or iLife 11 disc.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 4, 2012 12:25 AM (in response to David Bartosic)
If there is no iDVD on Your Mac (and it's not on newer Macs as Apple discarded it) then You need a program that can do this.
Your Mac can burn CDs and DVDs - BUT DVD as Data-DVDs not as Video-DVDs - they need a program to be encoded and STRUCTURED as such.
• iDVD is part of the boxed version of iLife'11 and can only be bought outside Apple as on Amazon and e-bay
• DVD Studio pro - Part of FinalCut Studio Pro bundle - this to has expired and can only be bought second handed. (High price and tough learning Curve - but best ever done.)
• Roxio Toast™ - Not as elegant as iDVD - but has many other positive additions (I like it as 10-Pro incl BD-component) (now version 11)
• Burn - only free alternative I know of on internet. Very simple - Just for doing a plain Video-DVD
only You can buy from Apple is
• FinalCut Pro-X which also can burn to DVD but without any nice themes.
You can also buy Compressor from Apple for $50 US. It will also create DVD and BluRay but without the nice themes.
Yours Bengt W
I'd love to use iDVD since it was probably designed to work with iMovie but my updated copy most likely won't be here in time. I've looked at my Toast Titanium 5 program and it says it will burn a video DVD but first I have to have a video_TS file. Sooo, I looked that up and sort of know what that means, but how do I turn what's in iMovie into that format? The only SaveAs feature I see saves what I did as a .mov file.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 4, 2012 5:09 AM (in response to David Bartosic)
My Roxio Toast™ says something else.
Can copy a made DVD to a new one
But can not
• encode the special .mpeg2 code - or -
• create the needed Video-DVD structure
This was included in later versions
• Toast 9 and 10 and 11 can do this
My guess is that it was first included in Toast 6 or 7
Down-load Burn and use this instead.
Yours Bengt W
Thank you Bengt. I DID download Burn a couple hours ago but am not sure how to use it. What do I have to do to the slideshow that is in iMovie so that Burn will process it properly? No documentation came with and I am really unfamiliar with all this.
Uh oh, let me guess. My version of iMovie HD (5.0.2) does not support "export". At least I don't see that option. I'm trying to recreate this show in Powerpoint, which is at least a little newer (2008) and turning it into a DVD that way. Any pointers?
Currently Being ModeratedMay 4, 2012 11:22 AM (in response to Bengt Wärleby)
I finally cried uncle and had a guy down the hall in another business convert a Powerpoint version to a DVD. Maybe things will be easier when my new iDVD version arrives. Thanks for all the suggestions, though. I REALLY appreciate these forums.