Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NVidia Quadro 4000 and early 2008 Mac Pro (3,1)

Hi to all.

I think my display card just died.

I've been wanting to get the NVidia Quadro 4000 for a while now as I do editing professionally and would like to make the Adobe Production suite zippier.

So now, I have no functional card for my monitors. Can I use the NVidia Quadro 4000 for my Dell monitors? One of the Dell's has a DVI-D2 input but the other has only VGA as far as I can tell. Or does it make more sense to get a different card? Or both the Quadro and a lower level card?

Also, does the NVidia Quadro 4000 need extra power and if so, how easy is it to connect and would I be able to use the DVD burner?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Running Snow Leopard, 18GB RAM

Posted on May 3, 2012 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2012 4:30 AM

Apple wants $1195 or you can buy it on Amazon same card for $799.

Did you look on Apple Store? it needs one 6-pin power.

What are you using now?

I actually think as long as you are running Lion (10.7.3) to go with GTX 470 or above.

Which GTX 570? MacVidCards or Stock?

Juice up a MacPro with video card(s) for Photoshop CS6?

eBay My World - macvidcards

- not listed but will be

Quadro 4000 for Mac Premiere DaVinci Resolve

NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2012 4:30 AM in response to LifePrints Video

Apple wants $1195 or you can buy it on Amazon same card for $799.

Did you look on Apple Store? it needs one 6-pin power.

What are you using now?

I actually think as long as you are running Lion (10.7.3) to go with GTX 470 or above.

Which GTX 570? MacVidCards or Stock?

Juice up a MacPro with video card(s) for Photoshop CS6?

eBay My World - macvidcards

- not listed but will be

NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac

May 4, 2012 7:39 AM in response to The hatter

I'm not running Lion, I'm running Snow Leopard.

Are you familiar with Adobe's Creative Production suite? The Adobe folks always recommend the NVidia Quadro series and I think for my early 2008 model, only the 4000 is compatible.

I know I can get them on Amazon or through B&H, what I'm not at all knowledgeable about is messing with anything beyond just sticking a new card in. So the idea of the 6 pin power cable is very intimidating to me. I have no idea (I'm a girl...) where I would need to connect it to. Is it complicated?

I went to macvidcards' website and couldn't figure it out.....

Can you give me some more concrete insight as to what would be required to successfully install a card that needs more power? That would help me a lot.

Thanks for all the info you did give me!

May 4, 2012 8:00 AM in response to LifePrints Video

MVC is 'busy' but over on MacRumors : Mac Pro section.

I use a flashlight but connecting the 6-pin cable to card (and inside on the motherboard) is easy. can even dig up photo - people like to document and even put how to install on Youtube.

Take things with a grain of salt. I'd go with the "juice up CS wtih GTX" thread and others real world. Yes, the drivers are suppose to and can, but if you want to improve performance and are contemplating $800, No.

I would upgrade to Lion as soon as you can, too, or wait for 10.8 even at this point.

There are a couple steps about Quadro 4000 install and 10.6.8 to be aware of which is another reason for Lion with built in driver, you still need to install Nvidia driver for CUDA on Nvidia drivers page.

Even the ATI 5770 and many (most) (you have what now?) are using 6-pin power. The ATI 5870 uses two.

You said you want zippier so the GTX 570 or above would fulfill that. The GTX 680 $499 just out would also be nice.

Not to confuse, but this is a helpful site section also dealing with graphic cards for OS X.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,2037.0.html

May 4, 2012 9:15 AM in response to The hatter

Thanks so much for replying right away. As usual, these calamities happen just before the wkend, so I won't get a replacement until Monday at the earliest. I think I understand the extra power and where to plug it on the board. Now I have one last need for clarification:

1. So the only cards that use CUDA are the NVidia Quadros? If I wanted to speed up render times and such in Adobe Premiere, I have no choice but to go with it?

2.Lion has built in drivers for both the Quadro and GTX 570?

3. I'm concerned about upgrading to Lion right now as I'm in the midst of a very complex, deadline driven video project and anything that can mess with that will give me a heart attack. As is I'm losing prcious time with this.

4. Does any GTX 570 work out of the box if I plug it into my aging early 2008 Mac Pro? Since I have no way to view (monitor) what's going on, I can't add drivers or anything beyond popping a card in and have it operate at least one monitor right away

5. A rep at OWC promised that a Radeon 5770 will work right out of the box, no worries.

6. If you tell me that the GTX 570 or 680 will work out of the box with OS X 10.6.8, I'll order right now, otherwise I have to cave in to the 5770 just to get up and runnnig.

Looking forward to your sage advice,

Dorit

May 4, 2012 9:47 AM in response to LifePrints Video

So many questions and so little time... lunch!

There is Wikipedia.

AMD = OpenCL

Nvidia = OpenCL and CUDA

CUDA is part of every Nvidia card, GeForce GTX or Quadro

Open source compiler to make CUDA and OpenCL much easier and better (OpenCL is 4-5 yrs old but a pain to code and optimize with a lot of micro management. Not today but AMD's support for just OpenCL is limiting. But something to support both technologies is a year away probably.

Dual boot is a must! Clone your system / or install Lion on 2nd drive

Setup Assistant to import from 10.6 to Lion so you have both.

Clones as backup.

Out of the box: the startup is missing on screen without the modification. The drivers are normally and only found bundled into OS X which is why you don't normally see or have to go to AMD to get the latest driver. Or downgrade to a better working driver. you have to rely on OS X and version.

That is why GTX 5xx and 10.7.3

OWC charges more than Amazon or Apple and charges for 6-pin cable. The 5770 does work - with 10.6.5 or later. It does not work with older OS - no driver. It does not allow you to boot from your 10.6.0 DVD and install.

You could order the GTX 570 (I'd skp on 560, I have looked into both but up to you). And 680s are not supported yet, and still scarce. But great card for the $499.

The GTX 570 2.5GB was the one recommended with its 2.5GB VRAM. $349.

http://www.evga.com/products/

To get a boot screen means modifying the card which means sending it to Calif and $100 + shipping.

Some people use the GTX purely for CUDA and still use ATI 5770 for their monitor.

Oh, yes, died. No card on hand as backup or spare.

Shame. I'd toss coin and then go with.... Q4K but

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-DisplayPort-Profesional-Graphics-VCQ4000MAC-PB/dp/B004 CRS78O

You could wait and see. I'd over night the Q4K for $810, then see how that does, it does have 2x the VRAM. And you could use GTX 570 or 680 down the road when you do upgrade to Lion plus.

Comparing 5770 to Q4K:

http://www.jigsaw3d.com/articles/gpu-performance-review-nvidia-quadro-4000-for-m ac

Quadro CUDA driver support

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

May 5, 2012 7:32 AM in response to The hatter

Wow! What a wonderful resource! Thank you so much. It's a lot to absorb. Looks like the GTX 570 from macvidcards is a great option if I were running Lion. Also the card is described as "used" on their eBay store site, so I'm not sure what that means. 5770 already on its way. Once I'm up and running I will consider my other options.

Thanks for the education. Very much appreciated.

May 5, 2012 8:00 AM in response to LifePrints Video

Trying to solve a problem at last minute... spending $800.... and what works best... usually I spend weeks researching and trying to make a decision and do a lot of What Ifs in my head.

The 5770 is the cheapest and safe quick fix solution for today.

I would contact MVC and ask of course, seems very willing and helpful but I assume someone tried a card and decided it was not for them - maybe they didn't run Lion or other issue.

Good luck and hope you can revisit the upgrade options later.

May 5, 2012 8:23 AM in response to LifePrints Video

there is an old saying, there is always something new right around the corner. But you also have to act and can't put life or projects on hold either.

The $500 GTX 680 is a powerful card, and a 4GB VRAM would be great. but in the past there was and may be an issue with Apple dealing with cards with more than 2GB or a dual-Quadro 4000 configuration.

Dual Quadro 4000 CUDA 4 Kernel Panic

but a GTX 670 sounds interesting and we'll know on the 10th.

full retail option from someone that we'll show you on the 10th when the model officially launches. The reference based design, though, is looking good for NVIDIA and could be a clear option for people who don't want to spend big money.

To be completely honest, there's not really much more that needs to be said about the video card. Of course we're only covering the performance today so there's no bundle or anything like that to talk about. We don't have any pricing from NVIDIA so there's not much to say in that area either.

We of course know it will come in cheaper than the GTX 680 and considering the price point that hits at, we're fairly comfortable in saying that the GTX 670 is going to be a really well valued video card.

http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/27582/point-of-view-heeft-geforce-gtx-670-gereed

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4710/nvidia_geforce_gtx_670_2gb_video_card_per formance_preview/index15.html

NVidia Quadro 4000 and early 2008 Mac Pro (3,1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.