Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change a rescue email

im trying to change my apple id but it is saying that i cannot make my new id because it is my rescue email. i have added several different emails but i do not know how to change any of them to the "rescue email"

Posted on May 3, 2012 8:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2012 9:49 AM

I just had that problem and this is what I did to solve it:

Go to the "Password and Security" section. And on that page it will list your apple id's rescue email. You can change/delete it there.

I deleted my rescue email so I could use it as my primary apple id email.

Hope this helps.

46 replies

May 8, 2012 11:27 AM in response to Alfred Nicol

@Brown.Jaelen was too vague. You will find the section you need here:

1. Go to https://appleid.apple.com/ .
  2. In the right column, click the link for "Manage your account".
  3. Log in.
  4. In the left column, click the link for "Password and Security".
  5. Answer the security questions when prompted.
  6. In the right column, under the heading "Rescue Email Address", you'll find links for editing or deleting your rescue email address.

May 10, 2012 9:35 AM in response to racer42

I have a similar problem but not exactly the same.

I forgot my answers to my secret questions and my iPhone is now locked.

I tried sending a verification to my rescue e-mail address which is shown as dxxx@hotmail.com

now I do have an e-mail starting with a d, and @hotmail.com but not exactly dxxx@hotmail.com.

is this a sensor from apple or has someone hacked my account and changed my rescue e-mail?

May 23, 2012 4:38 PM in response to lsloan

After I log in, it keeps asking me to verify my email address... The email listed is no longer valid, so I tried to change it. This is where Apple then tells me I can't use my recovery email as my primary email. It never lets me get to the screen that allows me to add/delete recovery email addresses. 😕

I guess I'll just have to go the Apple Store or call support... I'm getting too frustrated...

Jul 7, 2012 4:14 PM in response to racer42

Has anyone found an answer to this?? I have the same exact problem where my primary email is no longer valid, so I can't even get in to validate the email address to continue. I need to change my Rescue email to my primary. I called apple support & cannot get through to a person; it's all automated & I'm becoming extremely frustrated!!!

Help!!!! Anyone have any suggestions???

Jul 11, 2012 8:37 AM in response to racer42

What someone posted earlier works, although if you can't remember you password, or the answers to your security questions that is a different problem.

1. Go to https://appleid.apple.com/ .
  2. In the right column, click the link for "Manage your account".
  3. Log in.
  4. In the left column, click the link for "Password and Security".
  5. Answer the security questions when prompted.
  6. In the right column, under the heading "Rescue Email Address", you'll find links for editing or deleting your rescue email address.
  7. Then find where your rescue email is listed, and click edit, you will have to input a NEW email address that is different from the one you want to use as your appleID, then Save.

After you complete those steps, then you can go back to the Name, ID, and E-mail Addresses tab, and input the e-mail address you would like. (The one you just deleted from your rescue e-mail.)

Hope that helps....

Jul 11, 2012 9:14 AM in response to eyelsi

I have the same problem, i forgot my security answers and i cant buy anything from my iPhone! unless it's free. i tried entering "Password and Security" but now it's says that i cant change my password for 8 hours and i dont remember of having a rescue email! Can somenone please help me? i'm getting very frustrated 'cause i'm trying evrything and nothing is helping me!
Thanks!!

how to change a rescue email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.