Skip navigation

I cannot open one URL in Safari or Firefox but it works fine on another computer?

3530 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2013 4:39 AM by macadamea RSS
1 2 Previous Next
spiralgirl Level 2 Level 2 (180 points)
Currently Being Moderated
May 3, 2012 10:13 PM

I'm unable to open one URL in either Safari or Firefox but have no problem on my laptop.  Tried using another user account but it still won't work.

Read this link posted here:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2554920?threadID=2554920

Both my sister and I share the same network name and I tried entering the URL with numbers and it still does not work. It's been like this for a week. Any ideas?  Also repaired hard drive with Disk Utility.

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 17 & 27, 1.67GHz with Leo, PowerbookPC G4 512 MB DDR SDRAM, Mac OS X (10.6.7), latest itunes
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (84,015 points)

Hi...

I'm unable to open one URL in either Safari or Firefox

Reply back with a link to that url.

• Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (107,430 points)

What happens when you try to load the page?

Launch the Network Utility application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Network Utility in the page that opens.

Step 1

Select the Lookup tab and enter

www.rlslog.net

in the address field. Press return. Post the output – the text, please, not a screenshot.

Step 2

Select the Ping tab and do the same.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window:

curl -I http://www.rlslog.net

Press return. You should almost instantly get several lines of output below what you entered, the first of which begins with something like this:

HTTP/1.1

If there's no output within ten seconds, consider that a failure. You can then quit Terminal. Post your results.

You say another computer can connect to the site. Is that from the same network, or a different network?

Previous message was edited after posting.

Select  ▹ System Preferences ▹ Network ▹ Advanced ▹ Proxies. If any proxies are selected, deselect them, apply your changes, and try again. You must apply the changes before they take effect. You don’t need to disable passive FTP mode.

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login. Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards. Boot in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

• Be sure your Mac is shut down.
    • Press the power button.
    • Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
    • Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Note: If FileVault is enabled under Mac OS X 10.7 or later, you can’t boot in safe mode.

Safe mode is much slower to boot and run than normal, and some things won’t work at all, including wireless networking on certain Macs.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem(s)?

After testing, reboot as usual (i.e., not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.