Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving default Pictures folder to another location

Hello

I have just installed a new 128 SSD into my MacBook Pro instead of SuperDrive and kept also the old HDD inside. I made a clean install of Lion on the SSD which created a new Pictures folder on the SSD, but I want to have it linked to the old HDD. Is there any way how to change destination of these default folders? (I have tried to create symbolic link and put it instead of the Pictures folder, but Lion does not let me delete the Pictures folder...)

Thanks in advance

Antonin

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), MacBook Pro 2010

Posted on May 4, 2012 1:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2012 2:22 AM

No need to deleter the new Pictures folder. You can remove it from the Finder Side Bar and replace it with the old one. You can also point whatever imgae/Photo Viewer/Editor you are using to the old Pictures folder. If you don't put anything in that folder it is not taking up any space.

3 replies

Feb 5, 2013 2:39 AM in response to Wet Baloney

You have to Drag off the original sidebar shortcut for those folders (They Will Always Point to the original Locations) Then Drag back to the sidebar the new Doc, Movie and downloads and NEW shortcuts, Apple Speak "Alias", will be created to them.

To drag off the originals you have to hold down the Command or Option key, sorry I forget which key, while clicking & dragging off.

Moving default Pictures folder to another location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.