Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Relocating Motion 5 Templates folder

Hi

I've searched these forums and found nothing relating to relocating the Motion 5 'Motion Templates' folder currently located in 'Movies' on my startup drive.

Can I move it to a second internal harddrive and get FCPx and Motion 5 to point to it? My startup drive is a small SSD which I don't want it filling up with templates etc. I tried simply moving it with no success. I can't see anything in preferences in either app.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Drew

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 4, 2012 2:57 AM

7 replies

May 5, 2012 3:32 PM in response to Curnsie

This would be a great feature: project and drive specific templates.

I have discovered this is a real pain recently when travelling about working on different machines.

For instance I often create a transition specifically for one edit project and it really should move around with the project and footage, not be tied to the machine. I had to redo a lot of work because of this when I went to a different country and realised motion stuff was missing I had already done.

Nov 5, 2013 10:49 PM in response to Curnsie

I'm fairly sure you can move the Motion Templates folder anywhere you like, then make a Symbolic Link to that folder and place the symbolic link inside your movies folder.

There is a "Finder" tool you can install that adds a Make Symbolic Link... item to finder menus:

http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/~seiryu/software/SymbolicLinker2.0v3.dmg

(It does the same thing as the "terminal" trick you probably read about.)

User uploaded file

I use it frequently, usually to substitute for directories for web server purposes – I can develop pages anywhere on my system, then just throw a symbolic link in my Sites folder — but I haven't tried it for this specific purpose. You can try it and if it doesn't work, just move the folder back into place and try something else.

Symbolic links are very different than common finder aliases — they are a 'nix core feature and will work where aliases will not on a Mac. I expect it to work for your purposes, but I also expect that you might notice FCPX will slow down a little loading templates on startup.

Relocating Motion 5 Templates folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.