Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro does not go to sleep when power cord is connected

Hi Experts,

I have recently discovered that my MacBook Pro (2009) with OSX Lion does not go to sleep when the power cord is connected. It does not matter if I close the lid or select sleep from the Apple menu. All that happens is that the screen is powered off, the SIL is solid and I can hear the HDD/fan. I have not changed any of my power settings recently and it has not been a problem previously. If I disconnect the power cord the MB goes to sleep as supposed to (the SIL led starts flashing).

Doing some research I have found other users with somewhat the same issues when VMWare Fusion is installed. I have done some further testing and it seems that if I disable the virtual machine's Network Adapter and quit VMWare Fusion the MB goes into sleeping mode when the lid is closed even with the power cord connected. Enabling the Network Adapter again prevents the MB to go into sleeping mode when the power cord is connected. This even applies when the VMWare application is shutted down.

My guess is that the Network Adapter somehow prevents the MB to go into sleeping mode. The workaround is of course toggling the Network Adapter on and off but the virtual machine has to be running in order to do so. Not being that familiar with network settings on a Mac is there any other way to get around the problem?

Thanks in advance :-)

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 4, 2012 7:26 AM

7 replies

Jun 11, 2012 1:46 PM in response to jaccchr

Great!! Thanks a lot for this posting. It sorted it.

Turned off Bluetooth, files sharing, internet sharing... pretty much all the points it highlighted. I have a sneaking suspision it was the internet sharing and Bluetooth.

I don't really have the time or inclination to trial n error each point, sorry. Maybe there's someomne out there who does.

Thanks again Jaccchr.

Jul 5, 2014 8:11 AM in response to jaccchr

To anyone,

I have turned internet sharing off but the Ethernet box remains checked. If I uncheck the Ethernet box, the Internet Sharing bubble turns red, however when I close System Preferences and re-open, the box is automatically checked although Internet Sharing is off. Because of this my Macbook Pro will not sleep properly.

All other sharing items are turned off. Only Internet Sharing continues to automatically show Ethernet as active from a Wi-Fi connection.

Any advice?

MacBook Pro does not go to sleep when power cord is connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.