Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery life slightly shorter after calibrating battery

Hey guys! 🙂

I calibrated my MacBook Pro battery and then noticed that the battery life seemed slightly shorter after that. I calibrated it according to this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Just wondering if I have done anything wrong... 😕

One more question... What do they mean by "At this point, save your work. Continue to use your computer; when the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep." Does it mean that I have to use the computer until it just shuts down or should I shut it down once the "Low Battery" warning pops up? 😕

Thanks guys! 🙂

Logic Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 4, 2012 8:26 AM

4 replies

May 4, 2012 8:30 AM in response to woofmatix

Shut your computer down or plug it in if your battery is low. Also, you could have turned on some setting that are good for your computer but not needed by you. Just review your settings under the battery section and turn off things you don't want on. Its a pain sometimes to turn your Mac back on after the battery dies.

Best of Luck- K

May 4, 2012 8:47 AM in response to woofmatix

It means precisely what it says, nothing more and nothing less. No interpretation is required. The computer will not shut down: it will go to sleep, if it is working properly. If it does shut down instead of sleeping, then either a) it was very badly in need of calibration, or b) it's about time to replace your battery.

The reason to save your work before things go that far is the same reason you save your work any other time: so that if anything goes wrong, your work isn't lost.

Kylewont does not understand that you are asking about the calibration procedure rather than normal usage. In normal usage, you would indeed, as kylewont suggests, want to plug the machine into AC power long before it got close to sleeping for lack of power. But if you are calibrating it, you want to keep working until the machine sleeps.

Calibration is unnecessary and not useful in any MBP that has a built-in battery. Assuming that yours has a user-removable battery, calibration should be done every few months to keep the battery-condition readout accurate. Calibration does not have any effect on battery capacity or running time on a charge; it only affects the accuracy of battery condition reporting. If your machine ran for a shorter time after calibration than beforehand, it was because you were placing higher power demands on it afterward.

Battery life slightly shorter after calibrating battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.