Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X Lion being a HUGE memory hog. What to do?

I have a unibody macbook pro, screenshot of specs following and I've had a huge problem ever since I got this computer with OS X Lion just performing poorly and slowly. I was informed by a genius bar genius that having a computer switched over from another mac could have damaged permissions which could account for most/all of the performance issues so they repaired issues in store, on top of replacing the logic board based on other information, but I am still seeing problems. What can I do?

User uploaded file

As you can see Safari alone i susing up over half a gig of memory and I have only 2 tabs open. One is Pandora and the other is the tab to this forum. Maybe I'm overestimating my computer because it is a notebook but I have a much much older, imac with a 2.1ghz dual core system I believe and I can get away with having Photoshop, Dreamweaver Illustrator, Itunes, Safari, Firefox and Mail before I even start to notice performance issues but on this computer that wouldn't even be conceivable as it'd probablyt ake half an hour to fully open all of those programs.

What can I do?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 4, 2012 11:19 AM

23 replies

May 4, 2012 2:37 PM in response to Damien999

Damien999 wrote:

What can I do?

You could take another screen capture and this time set Activity Monitor to show "All Processes" and sort by CPU instead of memory.

4 GB should be fine. However, in your example, you are running Safari, Firefox, iTunes, and Mail. Plus you have some active Flash running, some "Splashtop streamer" remote control software I've never heard of. To top it all off, you have anti-virus running. The Splashtop and anti-virus software could have kernel-level processes that are soaking up all of your CPU.

May 4, 2012 3:36 PM in response to Damien999

this computer that wouldn't even be conceivable as it'd probablyt ake half an hour to fully open all of those programs.

Whatever problem is causing your MBP to take a half hour to load a few programs it's not memory. More is always better though.

When Activity Monitor shows "page outs" routinely becoming a large percentage of "page ins" then you need more memory. As of right now, despite two browsers both running Flash content, plus other unknowns including whatever Sophos is doing, your 4 GB memory is adequate.

May 5, 2012 6:24 AM in response to Damien999

Damien999 wrote:

User uploaded file

That?

Well, that half of what I've asked you for twice. It shows your computer is idle and operating normally.

Is there any way you can quantify what "performing poorly and slowly" actually means? If it takes a long time to launch a program, then open Activity Montitor, sort by CPU, SHOW ALL PROCESSES, and take a screen capture (or three) while it is performing "poorly or slowly".

May 5, 2012 9:08 PM in response to etresoft

Performing poorly to me is getting the beachball when I click command+T in safari to open another tab... Or getting iTunes taking upto 17 seconds to change a song after I've hit the little >> button on my keyboard.

On occasion it takes a while to launch a program, not always, but it's more everyday things like getting beachballs all the time just opening a new tab when I only have 1 and the only programs running are safari and itunes.

May 5, 2012 10:15 PM in response to Damien999

Damien999, this is a screenshot of my MacBook Air with two browsers and many apps open, and shows what etresoft has asked you to produce - all processes sorted by CPU load:

User uploaded file

This MBA is running Safari, Firefox, iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, Mail, Pages, plus other apps. It is running the exact same version of Lion in the exact same amount of memory as your MBP (4 GB). It can therefore be concluded that Lion and memory themselves are not the cause of your ills, as I explained earlier. More memory is only likely to mask whatever problems exist.

The MBA is much less capable than your MBP. I have attempted many times to push its limits and have failed to experience anything remotely resembling what you have described. What I do not have though is any AV junk or whatever Splashtop is, but you haven't indicated a willingness to address those concerns. You have also ignored repeated requests for information that may help diagnose what's wrong.

This creates the impression you are more interested in complaining than solving your problems.

If you believe that is an unjustified conclusion I suggest you post a new, more appropriately worded question. There are plenty of knowledgable people willing to help.

May 5, 2012 10:49 PM in response to John Galt

First to address your conclusion, in not a single post has anyone asked me what everything that is running is. I know Sophos is running to protect my computer against malware and I know the splashtop streamer is for an app on my ipad that allows me to control my computer but most everything else I have no clue what it is or why it is open. I got rid of all of my dashboard widgets after the post claiming something might be going wrong there.

Now that we are clear that I am here asking for advice and assitance, not to complain I can finally include a picture with what I believe is what Etresoft has been asking for, although you must all understand I'm not literate with what is asked about pertaining to a lot of things here so telling me to show all processes makes no sense to me, which is why we are 4 pictures in and I've finally, hopefully, included a screenshot of what was asked for.

However i still am only vaguely sure of what you want included in the picture so I am showing every single column possible.

User uploaded file

May 5, 2012 10:51 PM in response to John Galt

On initial inspection, not sure if this is relevant, but it appears that your air has a significantly larger amount of open memory, especially with the programs you have open, compared to mine. I'm not sure if that is technically my problem, and if it isn't, what is my problem but I would that a macbook pro would perform comparitively similar, at least, to an air if not better considering they are purposed to have more power, or so the apple representative told me when I bought this thing for college.

Mac OS X Lion being a HUGE memory hog. What to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.