Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install Remote Desktop

I have OSX 10.6.8. I've now tried to install remote desktop several times on my computer with no success. I place the CD in the drive, it appears to go through the process, says it installed successfully, but when I click on it to start the application I get the following messages:

The Remote Desktop Administrator software faled to start due to an unexpected error. The Remote Desktop software may not be installed correctly or the computer may require a restart.

Under this window is usually another window asking for either a password or the product serial number, but when I enter that information the application hangs with the beach ball cycling forever.

I have rebooted the computer, still get the same thing. Sometimes will get a message saying that a newer version of the software is installed, but each time I install it I remove the old program first, even removing the preference file the last time I tried.

Remote Desktop on iMac-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on May 4, 2012 11:12 AM

10 replies

May 4, 2012 11:20 AM in response to pdbrown2009

I should add a couple of things. First of all, I get the "newer version is already installed" appears every time I try to start the program. Then a pop up window comes up under the error message with a different step in the install process. After entering the password, it hangs, so I force quit, the next time it asks for the Product Serial Number, then hangs, force quit, then it asks for the Task Server, after which I can't proceed any further.

May 7, 2012 5:48 AM in response to TeenTitan

Unfortunately I tried all the solutions on the other page, but none of them worked. I am still having the problem. And I don't think following the solution for Lion will work, since I'm on Snow Leopard. I will try the idea of upgrading before opening, but it doesn't make sense that that will help since the previous install worked without that upgrade, but I'll see.

Thanks guys!

Can't install Remote Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.