Previous 1 2 Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2014 1:34 AM by Tlll33
1stsgtmc Level 1 (0 points)

IMac with 10.7.3 and Seagate GoHlex 2TB external drive. Using the disk utility why is was not backing up.The Seagate is now asking the question "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required". The verify disk permissions and repair disk permissions buttons are not active. My reference "The missing manual" does not cover this challenge. Your help would be appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)
  • swriviera Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having a similar probem:  "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required" when I do disk permissions and disk repair

Any ideas from the experts?

Please help

MacBook Pro 2011, Lion

• Pondini Level 8 (38,740 points)

swriviera wrote:

I'm having a similar probem:  "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required" when I do disk permissions and disk repair

That's not an error message; just a notice that it's been done if necessary.

As long as you get the "appears to be ok" message, it's ok.

• FITtorrent Level 1 (0 points)

Unfortunately, this error does have ramifications.

In my case, when I try to access log files stored on this disk, I get the "Updating boot partitions..." error, and I am unable to update/maintain the necessary application logs stored on the affected disk.

I'm in the process of figuring out my fix without erasing the disk.

Please post the message(s).  The relevant portion of the system.log would be fine.

• Sandra Hall Level 1 (25 points)

I just got the same message when I ran Disk Utility for another problem on my disk. When I use get info on the disk, under sharing & permissions, I am listed as the admisnistrator, then the second name is Fetching... I ran Disk Utility to see if it would correct this, but it didn't. Time Machine won't work because of this.

This is what I found in console, system.log, after I ran Repair Disk:

Jun  4 19:55:43 Sandra-Halls-iMac fseventsd[14]: disk logger: failed to open output file /Volumes/Spock's Brain/.fseventsd/0000000002fbe7a2 (No such file or directory). mount point /Volumes/Spock's Brain/.fseventsd

Jun  4 19:56:02: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Jun  4 19:56:02 Sandra-Halls-iMac com.apple.usbmuxd[63]: _SendAttachNotification (thread 0x7fff781c6960): sending attach for device 8c:58:77:59:8b:5b@fe80::8e58:77ff:fe59:8b5b._apple-mobdev._tcp.local.: _GetAddrInfoReplyReceivedCallback matched.

Sandra Hall wrote:

I just got the same message when I ran Disk Utility for another problem on my disk.

What problem?

When I use get info on the disk, under sharing & permissions, I am listed as the admisnistrator, then the second name is Fetching... I ran Disk Utility to see if it would correct this, but it didn't. Time Machine won't work because of this.

No, that's not really a problem, and won't stop Time Machine.  It runs as the "root" user, meaning it has permission to everything.

What part of Time Machine "won't work" (backing-up, restoring, the "Star Wars" display, or what), and what does it do or not do, including any messages?

Jun  4 19:55:43 Sandra-Halls-iMac fseventsd[14]: disk logger: failed to open output file /Volumes/Spock's Brain/.fseventsd/0000000002fbe7a2 (No such file or directory). mount point /Volumes/Spock's Brain/.fseventsd

That's referring to the File System Event Store, a hidden log OSX keeps on every Mac-formatted partition (and has nothing to do with boot support).  How is the disk set up -- both Partion Map and Format?

Backing-up wouldn't work but I just ran it again and now it does work. The "fetching..." problem is still there, though. Any idea what that means?

Thanks.

It has to do with a change in the way permissions are handled.  Has your user account been upgraded and/or migrated from a previous version of OSX?

The handling of the user account's "group" is was changed; it doesn't really affect anything, except that the Lion Finder can't figure out the permissions for the group. 

You don't really need to do anything.

Ok, thanks. But it is weird. I've done nothing to the user account since I upgraded to Lion last fall. All of a sudden, this has happened.

No, it happened when you upgraded (perhaps from Tiger).  You just didn't see it before.  It's not really a problem, and won't affect your system.

Actually, this is the first time I've seen it. I've checked before because I've had problems with the drive switching to "Read Only" on it's own.

Oh, and I upgaded straight through all the OSX updates and never had this problem before. It definitely wasn't there last week.

You mean Get Info didn't show that last week?

Sandra Hall wrote:

I've had problems with the drive switching to "Read Only" on it's own.

That's likely a problem with the drive beginning to fail. 

Other possible causes are power failres or system crashes; power failure to the drive, improper disconnection of the drive (without ejecting first); a bad port or cable.

But if it happens frequently, it's more likely the drive (or power supply, if it has its own).

Previous 1 2 Next