Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

divide text into columns

I imported a tab delineated file into numbers and it put it into 1 column. The manual shows a menu bar Item "Divide text into columns" that doesn't appear on my tool bar. What now?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 4, 2012 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2012 1:00 PM

Mac,

That's a new one on me. Could you give us the Chapter and Section of the manual where you found that? The page number would help if you're using the English edition.

Jerry

5 replies

May 4, 2012 5:38 PM in response to macfromnm

Mac,

Got it. Thanks for the explicit reference, that really helps.

I think the User Guide is a bit misleading there. The Guide is referring to the text in a Text Box and how you can format the box to display text in multiple columns, as in a newspaper page.

This feature doesn't parse your data into table columns, sorry. If you want to describe your data, we may be able to help with that.

It may be simple. Let's try the simple approach. If you Select and Copy the tab delimited data, then switch to a Numbers Table, click ONCE in a table cell and Command-V. Your data should spread across columns. If you click twice in a cell all your data will go into one column when you paste.

Jerry

May 5, 2012 8:32 PM in response to macfromnm

By clicking twice on a cell you are drilling into the text layer, so everything you paste goes into that cell alone. The tabs simply are interpreted as tabs in any text block.

When you click only once you are operating in the same mode as when you are doing manual data entry where you type an entry and hit Tab to move to the next column.

Jerry

divide text into columns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.