Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intermittently get "communications error has occurred" in printer queue dialog when trying to print via wi-fi to my Canon printer. All drivers and firmware updates ok. Restarting printer usually clears it. Sometimes have to restart Mac.

My MacBook Pro usually prints just fine via wi-fi through my Time Capsule to my Canon MX870. But intermittently, I get a document stalled in the queue and the queue dialog box says, "communications error has occurred." If I delete the document, restart the printer and reprint it usually works fine. Sometimes that fails and I have to restart my Mac as well. Have not had to restart the Time Capsule to clear the problem. The problem seems very random in occurrence and I can't correlate it with anything done before it occurs, nor with any updates or additions. The proble is frequent enough that when printing from an online source that is not easy to retrieve, I have to print to a .pdf and then print the .pdf to avoid loosing a doc that is not easy to retrieve. Prvious query to Canon didn't result in any revelations, but I have requeried them with no answer yet.

My Mac is fully up to date (OS 10.7.3) and I have verified by numbers that the Air Port utiilty shows the lates version of firmware on the Time Capsule and my printer drive is the latest shown by Canon. I suspect this is an IP address problem, but it occurs often enough to be a nuisance. On infrequent occasion, my wife's MacBook Pro and mine will end up with IP address conflicts and have to restart, usually after one or the other has been "asleep." She hasn't had the "communcations error" problem printing from her MacBook, but she prints very seldom and I print a lot, so it may be that it just hasn't occurred for her yet. We also have 2 iPhones that are intermittently on and off the network, but they NEVER have a com. problem it seems.

Do I have an address assignment problem? I don't seem to find any pertinent articles or other posts on this. In previous PC days I used a Link-Sys router and I can't say as I ever recall an IP conflict if I let it assign addresses automatically.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on May 4, 2012 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2012 2:34 PM

Is your wife's laptop using Snow not Lion?

Do you have another router in the network? Describe the whole layout as sometimes IP conflict is caused by double NAT or wrongly setup bridge etc.

Lion has real issues with the airport or TC. It may have simply forgotten the IP of the printer.. or lost the connection between the printer name and its IP address. The fact that other products like the phones do not have the issue is indicative the issue is in Lion not the TC itself.

Look at the log in the TC... don't forget you need to use 5.6 airport utility not Lion's toy version.

Check for disconnections.

I am sorry but I have yet to see a clear work around.. (I solved the problem by not upgrading to Lion.. SL is so solid).

The printer may well function better if the network was fully SMB compliant..

So I suggest a full reset to the TC..

Change all names to short, no spaces pure alphanumeric.

If the TC is the main router set the dhcp lease time to short.. 30min.. which might help you get rid of IP conflicts. And keep the Lion computer more aware of the network by updating more often.

Cannot promise these will work for your situation.. but worth a go.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2012 2:34 PM in response to willyjp

Is your wife's laptop using Snow not Lion?

Do you have another router in the network? Describe the whole layout as sometimes IP conflict is caused by double NAT or wrongly setup bridge etc.

Lion has real issues with the airport or TC. It may have simply forgotten the IP of the printer.. or lost the connection between the printer name and its IP address. The fact that other products like the phones do not have the issue is indicative the issue is in Lion not the TC itself.

Look at the log in the TC... don't forget you need to use 5.6 airport utility not Lion's toy version.

Check for disconnections.

I am sorry but I have yet to see a clear work around.. (I solved the problem by not upgrading to Lion.. SL is so solid).

The printer may well function better if the network was fully SMB compliant..

So I suggest a full reset to the TC..

Change all names to short, no spaces pure alphanumeric.

If the TC is the main router set the dhcp lease time to short.. 30min.. which might help you get rid of IP conflicts. And keep the Lion computer more aware of the network by updating more often.

Cannot promise these will work for your situation.. but worth a go.

May 5, 2012 10:08 AM in response to LaPastenague

Can't give you a "solved" yet, because haven't had a chance to check out all the suggestions, but I appreciate the discussion.

To answer the questions you posed:

BOTH MacBook's on the network are running Lion. My wife's is just a few mo old and came with it. Mine is a year old and I upgraded to Lion about 3 mo. ago.......and in fact that MAY be about when this intermittent problem began! I had held off on Lion because of neg. review comments and no clear perceived need to upgrade. But after my wife got herself the new Mac w. Lion, I decided to go ahead and do the upgrade. And, other than possibly this issue, I've had no other negative experience associated w. the upgrade.

But, as I said, interestingly, my wife has NOT had this problem with "communications error" intermittently when trying to send a doc to the printer. I questioned her about it and she said she remembered me telling her how to clear it if it occurred, but it has never occurred. But, as I also said, she doen't print often.

No other routers in the network. Just the Time Capsule, 2 MacBook Pros w. Lion, 2 iPhones (a 3S & a 4) both running iOS5 and 1 iPad running iOS5. My MacBook seems to be the only one having the printer problem (but we rarely print from the phones/iPad and only w. the Canon photo print app.). I DO have a Parallels VM running XP on my MacBook Pro, but I have NOT had the printer comm problem when printing from XP in the VM, though to my uninformed mind it seems like I should, because it's just going through the Mac's wi-fi connection to the printer isn't it? But then again, I do not print very often from my Windows environment.

You suggest "look at the log in the TC." Where does one find that?

My Airport Utility is "Version 6.0" (600.92)...believe it was the result of an update in the not too distant past. Is that what you are referring to as "Lions toy version"??

I will pursue changing network names per your suggestion...I assume you mean for ALL devices, not just the TC?

And I will try shortening the dhcp lease time per your suggestion. Not sure what you mean by "keep the Lion computer more aware of the network by updating more often," unless you mean by more frequent renewal of the dhcp lease??

I did hear back from Canon's tech support and one new suggestion they made was, when the problem occurs, to check in the printer's setup system, on the printer's little led screen, as to whether the printer is showing its WLAN status as "active" or "inactive."

Their suggestion is that, if the printer is showing it's WLAN status as "active," then delete and reinstall the printer on the Mac. But if it is showing as "inactive," then reset the printer and go through the printer based WLAN setup to reconnect it to the network.

Pretty obvious and basic, and clearly it won't help if the problem is coming from a bug in Lion. But I have not as yet had a chance to try it because the problem has not recurred yet.

Thanks for you helpful suggestions and interest.

May 5, 2012 3:22 PM in response to willyjp

Interesting the original notebook install Lion has no issues.. and your xp vm has no issues.. plus phone etc no issues to me that points the finger at Lion update..

Test next time the error occurs.. print something from any other device in the network.. if it prints.. then the printer is absolved as is the TC.. and the issue is fairly and squarely your upgrade install.

Solution.. do a fresh straight clean Lion install.. painful, yes. Worth it.. no idea.. it could be issue with older macbook has a totally different wireless card and different drivers.. which it does. Later ones match better to newer generation TC.

See if the issue is wireless.. without doing anything.. plug the MB into the TC by ethernet.. turn off the airport.. to force the connection over to ethernet.. does it now print.. if so you have got the problem.. wireless card/driver/lion install.

Download the 5.6 utility to avoid the toy.. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1482

May 6, 2012 9:43 AM in response to LaPastenague

You could very well be correct that the origin of this was in the Lion upgrade to my MBP. FWIW, the TIme Capsule is of the same era as my MBP. It is the "dual band" 802.11n TC, just about 1 yr. old as is my MBP. I know the TC has evolved in some way since then, because mine is a 1 TB model, which is no longer offered, only 2 & 3 TB.

I'm still a little confused about that Air Port Utility 5.6: I read everything at the link you've given, but all of that says that 5.6 is for "802.11 g" Airports. And, in a place or two, for compatibility with "older Airports" as an alternative to using 6.0 in Lion. Now my "Airport" (Time Capsule in this case) IS of the Snow Leopard era one year ago, and my MBP IS now running Lion, but my wife's newer MBP with native Lion isn't having the problem---at least that we've detected yet (which COULD be the key!).

I do understand that this just might be arising in some obscure and heretofore unrecognized conflict between the various iterations of hardware and software, and thus anything is possible. But from what Apple is saying in that tech info sound more to me like it's for problems with "older" Airports and "newer" computers. I concede anything is possible here!

You've given me a lot of ideas to work on here. GIven intermittent nature of the problem (and the fact that it's a weekend!), the problem has not actually recurred since I first posted. During this coming week, I'll run a bunch of test print jobs to see if, and how often, I can provoke the problem. And whether or not I can observe it on my wife's machine. As I have examples of it "in captivity", so to speak, I will try your suggestion of trying to print from another device without clearing it on my MBP first.

WIth regard to your suggestion of seeing if a cabled connection will bypass the problem, did I make it clear that my Canon MX870 is a WIRELESS printer on the network? It is NOT cabled to the TC. So, your suggestion of going MBP>TC via Ethernet cable would, of course, still be using a wireless leg.

This communication problem only seems to involve the printer, so I would think maybe the first test to try would be to stay wireless between the MBP and the TC, but try cableing the Canon to the TC?? However, I'm not sure whether the TC has a USB port OR the Canon has an Ethernet port. Will of course have to check that (I'm not at home right now).

Thanks for all the thoughtful suggestions. I will work slowly through this and see if I can come up with a fix. It will take a while, but once I see that the problem seems to have stopped, I will repost on this thread. You can be pretty sure that a "clean reinstall of Lion" will be the LAST thing I resort to ;-)) !!. Hope I don't have to get that far on my list!

May 6, 2012 3:50 PM in response to willyjp

willyjp wrote:

You could very well be correct that the origin of this was in the Lion upgrade to my MBP. FWIW, the TIme Capsule is of the same era as my MBP. It is the "dual band" 802.11n TC, just about 1 yr. old as is my MBP. I know the TC has evolved in some way since then, because mine is a 1 TB model, which is no longer offered, only 2 & 3 TB.

I'm still a little confused about that Air Port Utility 5.6: I read everything at the link you've given, but all of that says that 5.6 is for "802.11 g" Airports. And, in a place or two, for compatibility with "older Airports" as an alternative to using 6.0 in Lion. Now my "Airport" (Time Capsule in this case) IS of the Snow Leopard era one year ago, and my MBP IS now running Lion, but my wife's newer MBP with native Lion isn't having the problem---at least that we've detected yet (which COULD be the key!).

Please download and use the utility.. it works with all airport products from G wireless airport extreme up to the latest generation N wireless TC, airport extreme and express.

The notes are unhelpful.. when you load it on to the Mac you will discover what why and wherefore. I do not run Lion.. but I have helped another person on lion use it.. the v6 utility was hopeless. I downloaded 5.6 and then could work on Gen 5 extreme.

WIth regard to your suggestion of seeing if a cabled connection will bypass the problem, did I make it clear that my Canon MX870 is a WIRELESS printer on the network? It is NOT cabled to the TC. So, your suggestion of going MBP>TC via Ethernet cable would, of course, still be using a wireless leg.

This communication problem only seems to involve the printer, so I would think maybe the first test to try would be to stay wireless between the MBP and the TC, but try cableing the Canon to the TC?? However, I'm not sure whether the TC has a USB port OR the Canon has an Ethernet port. Will of course have to check that (I'm not at home right now).

Yes, I understand.. IMHO the issue is Mac to TC.. the reason is the driver in Lion has issues forgetting the printer location soon after a reboot. I do not want you to change the printer link by wireless. Since no other computer has issues.. I do not believe there is any problem there.

To sort out if the issue is the wireless link Lion to TC.. I want you to use ethernet .. Lion to TC.. and turn off the airport. This completely removes the link and will prove if the issue is broader network problem or just wireless drivers.

The important thing is be scientific. Test with aim.. write down the conditions of each test and what happens. You then have some hope of identifying the cause.. at least to a particular part of the link.. There are lots of other ways to do this.. but for now I think what I have suggested will get you some of the way there.

I do understand that clean install is the last straw.. !!

May 6, 2012 4:28 PM in response to LaPastenague

Ok, I have gone ahead and installed the 5.6 Airport Utility. Hope you didn't think I was ignoring your advice. It's just that when I read the notes for 5.6, they entirely put me off! One never knows in these kind of advice situation whether or not one has provided ALL the pertinent information, or perhaps left out a key detail that leads one's advisor to the wrong conclusion. But it's onboard now (along with the 6.0, since I had not seen any specific instruciton to delete it; if I should, let me know). I'm actually at my daughter's home for the weekend and using her wi-fi (not an Airport), so I can't give you a road test report yet. But In the coming week I will work through all your suggested steps as I have opportunities (ie: when the problem will present itself). Will report back, hopefully positively, by next weekend. Thanks.

May 28, 2012 7:16 AM in response to willyjp

I had the same issue with exactly the same configuration (MacBook Pro, Time Capsule and MX870). I've apparently solved it by enabling Bonjour in the printer:

• delete your printer in System Preferences > Printer
  • in your printer, go to the Configuration menu > Device configuration or something like that (my printer is in French, not sure of the menus translation); it's the third item to the right when you open the menu
  • then go to Network > Other parameters > Bonjour
  • Activate Bonjour
  • Active the third item too (LPR Notification service)
  • go back to your Mac and try to reinstall your printer in System Preferences > Printer. The printer should normally appears. If two names are displayed, choose the Bonjour one

After that no more issue, and I'm even able to use the scanner whitout the Canon utilities. You should definitely give a try to this solution!

May 29, 2012 12:18 AM in response to oli.sc

I have not had the issue recur since I posted! Surprises me because it was happening frequently at the time. But, after reading about the printer settings on Canon's support site, I decided I should be able to turn on Bonjour and LPR notification without deleting and re-installing the printer. So I tried it, and now the printer utility shows the MX870 as a Bonjour printer and, after turning it on, Bonjour appears in my bookmarks in Safari. Clicking that opens the Bonjour browser access to the printer, and the settings there show that the MX870 has Bonjour and LPR notification enabled.

We'll see if the problem recurs, but as I said, the contrary problem has not appeared since the time of my original post. So, go figure!!?

But thanks for taking the trouble to share your solution. Bonjour seems to be enabled without deleting and reinstalling the printer, fwiw. If the problem recurs, I will try delete/reinstall since, as far as the MX870 is concerned, Bonjour is turned on.

Intermittently get "communications error has occurred" in printer queue dialog when trying to print via wi-fi to my Canon printer. All drivers and firmware updates ok. Restarting printer usually clears it. Sometimes have to restart Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.