Previous 1 2 Next 15 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2012 6:56 AM by The hatter
PetterMBA Level 1 (0 points)

My Bootcamp partition will not boot so I'm gonna make a new one but I have a few very essential files. It's some pictures and 3D-program-files.

the Question: If I copy the bootcamp-files from Finder onto my OS X desktop, will I than be able to copy them back through the windows 7 "finder" (can't remember it's name) oncw istalled? and be able to use them?

Petter

Sweden

• Csound1 Level 8 (46,987 points)

Windows can't write to an HFS partition, get a thumb drive or external hard drive, format as FAT32 and use that.

• PetterMBA Level 1 (0 points)

But I just copied files from windows partition to OS X partition through Finder, and it worked fine. I'll call the support and see if they can troubleshoot the prob. Thanks anyway

PetterMBA wrote:

But I just copied files from windows partition to OS X partition through Finder, and it worked fine. I'll call the support and see if they can troubleshoot the prob. Thanks anyway

Macs can read from an NTFS partition but not write to it. Windows can neither read nor write to an HFS partition, try to copy those files back to your Windows partition and see what happens.

Strange enough, it worked. It did work to copy them back. Well well, it's all good now so...

PetterMBA wrote:

Strange enough, it worked. It did work to copy them back. Well well, it's all good now so...

You have a 3rd party file system add-on installed, maybe Tuxera or NTFS3G, without one that would not work.

Ok, well then it must be included in the apple updates for windows package, or the bootcamp assistant, or something like that, cause I havn't installed it manually...

PetterMBA wrote:

Ok, well then it must be included in the apple updates for windows package, or the bootcamp assistant, or something like that, cause I havn't installed it manually...

No, it is not included in any Apple updates, it is a 3rd party extension, look in System Preferences>Other, if one is installed it should be there. Look for MacFuse, NTFS3G, Tuxera, there is one by Paragon as well, but I forgot the name.

Nop, there´s none. It is strange cause I remembered it not working when using my external hdd HFS+ with windows long time ago. It must be something following the bootcamp process. But doesn't it work for you though?don't you have a bootcamp partition to try with?

Yes I do, and no it doesn't

What windows r u using?

And what OS X?

I'm using:

Win 7

and Lion

PetterMBA wrote:

What windows r u using?

And what OS X?

I'm using:

Win 7

and Lion

Win7sp1 and Lion 10.7.3, also Win7 and Snow Leopard 10.6.8 plus Win XP and Leopard 10.5.7, all exhibit the same behaviour, that's why the 3rd party extensions exist. You have an odd situation, what you do going onwards is up to you but I would want to know why.

Yeah would too, I'll probably check it up. I post the explanation here when I get it, I'll probably call the support tomorrow. Thanks for your quick responses and willing to help!

where u from btw? i'm swedish

PetterMBA wrote:

Yeah would too, I'll probably check it up. I post the explanation here when I get it, I'll probably call the support tomorrow. Thanks for your quick responses and willing to help!

where u from btw? i'm swedish

I'm English, of Norwegian extraction (some Viking ancestor decided to stay a while I guess )

Haha, ok cool. Well, I'll get back to this discussion. Thanks again

Previous 1 2 Next