12 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2012 8:22 PM by MlchaelLAX
Kuzy Level 1 Level 1

How do you get a copy of Rosetta to install on 10.6.8?  I have a power pc software program and need to install.  I have read the help forums and Rosetta does not automatically install from the Apple servers. Is Apple discontinuing Rosetta support?

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)
Reply by X423424X on May 4, 2012 8:09 PM Helpful

Here's the link to the Apple retail version of SL.  That is the only way you are going to get rosetta.

All replies

• Kappy Level 10 Level 10

The Rosetta software is located on your Snow Leopard DVD.

• Kuzy Level 1 Level 1

Since I downloaded Snow Leopard from the Apple website when I upgraded from Leopard, I do not have a DVD of snow leopard.  Anhy other source for Rosetta?

Sorry, but you cannot download Snow Leopard from Apple. You may have downloaded Lion, but to install Snow Leopard you needed a purchased DVD or a Snow Leopard DVD that came with the computer when it was purchased.

• Kuzy Level 1 Level 1

My copy of Snow Leopard was an upgrade from Leopard and I recall downloading the upgrade- no DVD install. In any event, I do not have a DVD of snow leopard. I do have the DVD install for Leopard.  But I do not know if Rosetta  is on that DVD?  If not, where can I get a copy of Rosetta?

Sorry but your memory must be failing you because as I said there has never been a Snow Leopard upgrade you could download. You had to have a DVD. You can buy a Snow Leopard DVD at your local Apple store for $29.00.

• WZZZ Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Kappy, it may only be available for purchase at the Apple Store online now or Apple Phone Sales. I've read it's no longer in the bricks and mortar stores.

Thanks, WZZZ.

• Kuzy Level 1 Level 1

As I said, since I do not have a DVD for Snow Leopard, any suggestions on how to get Rosetta? The Apple web software support does not show Rosetta being available. One support comment says to go to the Rosetta website, but you get directed to the Apple store. But when you do a search there for Rosetta, you get nothing.  So I was wondering if Apple is not supporting Rosetta sinc we are now in Lion, and that does not have Rosetta in it.

• X423424X Level 6 Level 6

Here's the link to the Apple retail version of SL.  That is the only way you are going to get rosetta.

• Kuzy Level 1 Level 1

Thanks- I know this is frustrating.  I have apple care for my Imac and will give them a call to see what they can do.  Many thanks for your patience

• X423424X Level 6 Level 6

Ok. Good luck.

You realize you should be able to get apple to replace your original dvd's for a nominal price.  You would need to supply your machine's serial number.

• MlchaelLAX Level 4 Level 4

OP: Usually when you attempt to open a PPC application in Snow Leopard and it indicates that you need to install Rosetta, it will then do a download and install over the internet.  You also have the option to install manually from the Snow Leopard Install DVD.

Is your Mac connected to the Internet?  Any firewalls, or other blocks? You are at 10.6.8, can you continue to run Software Update, and download updates, for example the latest version of JAVA to avoid the current malware problem?

Recently I have been experimenting with various Snow Leopard installs into Parallels 7 for use of Rosetta in Lion.  One of the times, I purposely did not check the install Rosetta in the Options before install. When I attempted to run a PPC application, indeed, Rosetta downloaded from the Internet and installed and the app run fine.

If you have MobilMe, you can log in and Apple is giving away the Snow Leopard Install DVD for free.  I received mine about 4 business days after I ordered it on MobileMe.