Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you get a copy of Rosetta to install on 10.6.8?

How do you get a copy of Rosetta to install on 10.6.8? I have a power pc software program and need to install. I have read the help forums and Rosetta does not automatically install from the Apple servers. Is Apple discontinuing Rosetta support?

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 4, 2012 4:16 PM

12 replies

May 4, 2012 5:43 PM in response to Kappy

My copy of Snow Leopard was an upgrade from Leopard and I recall downloading the upgrade- no DVD install. In any event, I do not have a DVD of snow leopard. I do have the DVD install for Leopard. But I do not know if Rosetta is on that DVD? If not, where can I get a copy of Rosetta?

May 4, 2012 7:05 PM in response to Kappy

As I said, since I do not have a DVD for Snow Leopard, any suggestions on how to get Rosetta? The Apple web software support does not show Rosetta being available. One support comment says to go to the Rosetta website, but you get directed to the Apple store. But when you do a search there for Rosetta, you get nothing. So I was wondering if Apple is not supporting Rosetta sinc we are now in Lion, and that does not have Rosetta in it.

May 6, 2012 8:22 PM in response to Kuzy

OP: Usually when you attempt to open a PPC application in Snow Leopard and it indicates that you need to install Rosetta, it will then do a download and install over the internet. You also have the option to install manually from the Snow Leopard Install DVD.

Is your Mac connected to the Internet? Any firewalls, or other blocks? You are at 10.6.8, can you continue to run Software Update, and download updates, for example the latest version of JAVA to avoid the current malware problem?

Recently I have been experimenting with various Snow Leopard installs into Parallels 7 for use of Rosetta in Lion. One of the times, I purposely did not check the install Rosetta in the Options before install. When I attempted to run a PPC application, indeed, Rosetta downloaded from the Internet and installed and the app run fine.

If you have MobilMe, you can log in and Apple is giving away the Snow Leopard Install DVD for free. I received mine about 4 business days after I ordered it on MobileMe.

How do you get a copy of Rosetta to install on 10.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.