Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally set Finder sharing and permissions for everyone to no access

I have a relatively new MacBook Air. In reviewing the sharing and permissions settings for the Macintosh HD and for user known as "everyone", I changed the setting from "ready only" to "no access" thinking that this would block access from other users (like other family members). Well, it did, but I'm part of "everyone" and now have no access to my Air.

I have tried rebooting and accessing Safe Mode (Command/Shift/V) and I can see the status information as the machine tries to lauch in Safe Mode, but then the screen turns white leaving me with no interface through which I can launch Finder and correct my stupid mistake.

I welcome suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Tom

MacBook Air, iOS 5.1

Posted on May 4, 2012 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2012 4:19 PM

reset home folder permissions

1. Boot Lion Recovery by restarting the computer while holding the Command ⌘ and R keys.

2. When the Repair Utilities screen appears, select Utilities from the Menu Bar, then click Terminal.

3. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword and press Return.

4. The password reset utility window will appear. Do not select a new password.

Instead, click on the icon for your Mac's hard disk at the top. From the dropdown below it, select the user account with the problem.

5. At the bottom of the window, you will see Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the Reset button.

The reset process may take a couple of minutes. When it finishes quit the programs and restart your Mac.

This should work.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2012 4:19 PM in response to tom_marsden

reset home folder permissions

1. Boot Lion Recovery by restarting the computer while holding the Command ⌘ and R keys.

2. When the Repair Utilities screen appears, select Utilities from the Menu Bar, then click Terminal.

3. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword and press Return.

4. The password reset utility window will appear. Do not select a new password.

Instead, click on the icon for your Mac's hard disk at the top. From the dropdown below it, select the user account with the problem.

5. At the bottom of the window, you will see Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the Reset button.

The reset process may take a couple of minutes. When it finishes quit the programs and restart your Mac.

This should work.

Aug 25, 2012 11:13 AM in response to tom_marsden

I had this problem just about 15 minutes ago. My mind was ready to shut down trying to figure out what to do. All the other forums say that a reinstall was needed or I needed Disk Utility, blahblahblah.

But Neil's Tip worked PERFECTLY! Neil, you are a genius, whoever you are. Tom, thanks too, for linking Neil's tip!

Thanks Much!

Accidentally set Finder sharing and permissions for everyone to no access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.