Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Software security device" password dialog?

Anyone know what this is, exactly? I'm installing a 2010 version of Eudora and it wants the software security device password. Well, I have no idea what that is. My user password, admin password, and other usual passwords don't work.

Thanks!

Posted on May 4, 2012 5:39 PM

4 replies

May 4, 2012 5:44 PM in response to magdalen23

I would assume it is the admin password. But I don't believe Eudora requires any special permissions, unless it are trying to put it in /Applications. So you better be sure you really have Eudora. You can put Eudora anywhere. It doesn't have to be in /Applications. I certainly don't run it from there.

Also, I hope you aren't trying to install into a Lion system since Eudora won't run there because its powerpc code.

May 4, 2012 5:43 PM in response to X423424X

Ah, I should have mentioned -- I'm on Snow Leopard. I was using Eudora 6.2 for quite a while. It became unstable and I figured I would finally, finally migrate to Mail and actually stick to it this time. But if you've been accustomed to Eudora for a long time, Mail seems so inadequate. So now I've installed this other Eudora.

As I mentioned, my user password and the machine's admin password do not work. I also tried a password I would typically use for Keychain-type applications.

The Eudora is Eudora OSE, open source.

May 4, 2012 6:12 PM in response to magdalen23

Oh that thing -- Thunderbird trying to disguise itself by (poorly) attempting to look like the real Eudora.

I just download it (just it case it was different from the days it was still called Penelope). It should not be asking for any passwords to install. However, if you already had previously used it (I had when it first came out about 2 years ago) and had defined a email account it could be asking for your mail POP account password. But that dialog is not worded using the term "security device password". So I am not sure what you are encountering.

Update:

Just googled "Software security device". Found this on a mozilla site:

software security device. The default security device used by Certificate Manager to store private keys associated with your certificates. In addition to private keys, the software security device stores the master key used by Password Manager to encrypt email passwords, web site passwords, and other sensitive information. See also private key and master key.

Look at some of the other google his as well.

"Software security device" password dialog?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.