Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my phone backup?

My phone tells me it is not backed up. I plug it into my computer and follow the prompts but it fails to permit me the opportunity to back it up.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on May 4, 2012 5:53 PM

3 replies

May 4, 2012 8:11 PM in response to brewbrown

See this article about backups and where they are stored on your computer: iTunes: About iOS backups

To save the backup, copy the backup folder to a save place or include it in your computer backup routine.

Where iTunes backups are stored on your computer

The folder where your backup data are stored varies depending on the computer's operating system. Make sure the backup folder is included in your periodic data-backup routine.

iTunes places the backup files in the following places:

• Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
  • Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Note: If you do not see the AppData or Application Data folders, you may need to show hidden files (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7), or iTunes may not be installed in the default location. Show hidden files and then search the hard drive for the Backup directory.

May 5, 2012 12:15 PM in response to brewbrown

Assuming you have Windows:

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Start an elevated command prompt (Start Menu>All Programs>Accessories>right-click "Command Prompt">choose "Run as Administrator")
  3. Once in the command prompt, type "netsh winsock reset" and hit ENTER.
  4. Reboot your machine.
  5. Restart iTunes.
  6. Try backing up your phone again.

If it still won't back up you probably have a corrupt backup on the computer and must delete it. First go to iTunes Preferences, Devices tab, select the backup and use the Delete button. Then try backing up your phone again.

Why won't my phone backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.