Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Keeps Asking Me To Authorise My Compuer

I have been using my Windows 7 laptop for quite a while now. For the past 6 months or so (yes this has been going on for that long) whenever I purchase an album off the iTunes store a number of songs (usually around half) ask me to authorise my computer to play/ sync. them. Obviously, my computer is already authorised (the only only), and I am all out of ideas.

I have already tried every little bit of help that Apple has provided me, with no success. And staff I have been emailing are next to usless.

I have noticed when I go to Get Info. that songs I can play has both Purchased By and my Account Name, while the songs I keep being asked to authorise only have my Account Name listed.

Please help! This is an ongoing and ridiculously frustrating problem, costing me both time and money.

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on May 4, 2012 5:53 PM

56 replies

May 13, 2012 9:46 AM in response to ReeceHoskinson

Reece - I have the same problem. Getting rid of the SC folder/item does not work.

I am trying to "transfer purchased items" on the iPhone

iTunes asks me to Authorize the computer - then it says it is already authorized!!! Then I hit OK - then it tells me it is NOT Authorized! I've tried re-boot - deleing the SC file, rebooting the iPhone. Still in the NOT authorized loop.

Really annoying...

EDIT - Oh, I have tried two different PCs - same thing...

May 13, 2012 11:48 AM in response to udornf4

Won't let me edit (again) - so I am replying (adding) to my post above.

This "might" be the problem: When I go to the App Store on my iPhone and try to buy something, it already has an incorrect APPLE ID on the request for Password pop-up. It is in the form of xxxx@hotmail.com (instead of my APPLE ID of xxxx).

Also, when I try "transfer purchases" a window pops up with xxxx@hotmail.com (already filled in) instead of my APPLE ID of xxxx. I can change it here, but not in the iPhone. Still where I use the xxxx APPLE ID and actually log in, I get into the LOOP of "comnputer not authorized"...

So, I think somewhere in the Apple system it thinks my APPLE ID is xxxx@hotmail.com

xxxx = example (not actual)

Jul 3, 2012 10:16 AM in response to ReeceHoskinson

As soon as I clicked on my apps on my ipod, they would send me back to the icon screen. Then iTunes would tell me over and over again to authorize this computer (which was already authorized) I tried restoring it twice. I read lots of soulutions to this kind of problem, and NOTHING worked for me. So what I finally did was go into my computer and uninstall iTunes. Then I went back and downloaded iTunes again (which took some time) and whata ya know, it worked. I had to redownload all my apps, but it worked. Maybe this will work for music too.

Jul 25, 2012 2:31 PM in response to udornf4

YESSS! Finally!

I actually had THREE accounts on my business phone (wife's, business email, and it turns out, my personal email account) but only thought I had two (the first ones listed). I did what you did - went to see what account it defaulted to when I went to download an app, and sure enough, it came up with my personal email. So I authorized under that one, and finally it acknowledges I can transfer purchases.

It actually made me enter all three passwords as part of the synch, because I think I've downloaded apps under all three accounts, but it seems to be going gangbusters now.

Phew - I can upgrade to the new IOS now!

Aug 2, 2012 12:08 AM in response to ReeceHoskinson

I looked through heaps of forums, tried all the fixes and finally stumbled upon the FIX! Is so easy its silly.You basically delte the song and redownload it.

Click here, or see below: http://dannythomson.com/DannyThomson/2012/02/05/songs-bought-in-itunes-not-autho rized-to-play-fix/

Ive seen messages all over google pretty much about:

My computer says it is not authorized to play certain songs. When I try to authorize it, it takes my password XXXXX however, does not actually authorize it.

and so on…

Well, today (2/5/12) I bought an album Wester – Danger Music, everything downloaded and added to my iTunes. 1 Problem thou, one of the songs would not play, kept getting the error message iTunes – “not authorized to play on this computer”

I tried the options from (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1389) iTunes repeatedly prompts to authorize computer to play iTunes Store purchases

Those did not work for me, so what I did to fix this issue was very simple.

1. Delete the song in iTunes to remove from your library and hard drive

2. Open the iTunes Store

3. Make sure you are signed in with the same account used for the original purchase.

4. Tap Purchased from the bottom navigation bar in the Features category.

5. From the Purchased tab, tap the artist name for the content you intend to download again.

6. Once you’ve located the music you are looking for, tap the download button.

(If you want to download all songs from an album that you’ve purchased, click on the button to swith to the “Album” view.)

Hope your issue is Fixed!

Thats IT!! I was stuck trying to figure out a fix for an hour, and finally figured this out.

Any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Aug 12, 2012 7:55 PM in response to ReeceHoskinson

first off is spotlight turned on this cause strange issues and secondly go to your account by clicking on you name on itunes and the deathorize all computers then reathorize this sometimes helps. I have problems with itunes playing movies and must play through quicktime but have not had any authorize problems after clearing the authorized computers form the store and then reauthrizing them I also had to turn on spotlight and allow it to bog down my computer to use alot of the new features. Hope this helps some

Aug 12, 2012 9:54 PM in response to Zeran

Honestly, I no longer use iTunes to purchase music. The problem cannot be solved, and Apple take no responsibility for the problem, and blame outside sources (me) for it. The problem is that when I purchase an album (signed into my ONLY account), iTunes allows another account (which doesn't exist) to purchase up to half the album. I have had it with Apples horrible customer service, and just buy the albums on CD. A lot less hassle.

Sep 4, 2012 4:39 PM in response to loopdeloop13

Loopdeloop13's suggestion fixed the problem for me.

After weeks of no help from Apple at all, the solution was very similar to the solution for the different problem that I had with the last album that I downloaded from iTunes. In that case, iTunes tech support was no help either.

Now the songs on the album are all out of order, but at least I can listen to what I purchased.

No wonder piracy is such a problem..... it's far easier than purchasing the music legitimately from iTunes and having to fight for days to listen to what you purchased.

Is there a reliable, non-bug-infested, source to purchase digital music from? Or should I just steal?

iTunes Keeps Asking Me To Authorise My Compuer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.