Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade on an iPhone 3gs to ios 5.1 from 4.3.5?

I have a 3GS currently running on iOS 4.3.5. I mainly phone/txt/safari and I stream a lot of radio using TuneIn Pro (important app for me).

I'm pondering an OS upgrade to 5.1....

I've been warned even by Apple employees (off-the-record) to not upgrade the OS to 5.xx due to performance problems. They say the 3GS doesn't have the power to handle iOS 5. Howerver, I've read recently that 5.1 is not as bad as 5.0 and 5.0.1 were on the 3GS.

I don't jailbreak my phone (nor do I ever plan to), so I can't revert back if I try it, so I'm kind of skiddish.

Any advice, pros/cons, would be appreciated. Thanks!

TFK

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1, iOS 4.3.5 currently

Posted on May 4, 2012 6:36 PM

5 replies

Jun 26, 2013 10:17 AM in response to the_fat_kid

How about iOS 6?

I have taken my 3GS* through iOS 5.x and now iOS 6.1.3; it works. As long as I turned off those bandwidth-hogs (no automatic photo stream, or iCloud update), I have found:

1) Latency in starting up App (little slower than OS 5 or 4)

2) YouTube gone (no more default)

3) Battery retention span becames progressively shorter per each upgrade (OS 4, 5 to 6).

#3 may have to do with age, not iOS. Used to charge every other day (OS 4), then every night, now every evening + recharge everyday around 3-4 pm.

*"new" ATT 3GS in 2009; still going strong 2013.

Should I upgrade on an iPhone 3gs to ios 5.1 from 4.3.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.