Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending wifi range

My wireless connection does not currently reach my backyard. Will using airport express extend the signal?

Airport express -OTHER

Posted on May 4, 2012 6:32 PM

10 replies

May 4, 2012 6:36 PM in response to Alexv3000

It can, but the maximum clear space range of such a setup is abou 300 feet. If there are any obstructions between the router and the AEX then that range will be reduced substantially. So whether it will work depends on where the router is, where the AEX will be, and where the destination target is for the WiFi signal.

May 5, 2012 10:29 AM in response to Alexv3000

I have this same problem. I have an extreme in the basement and and express in the living room but, given all the walls I can't reach into the bedroom. I have been thinking about getting another express to fit in the bedroom but then I started hearing about the "next big thing" is something called AC. Will it be best to wait until Apple comes out with this?

May 5, 2012 10:38 AM in response to Carson James

Carson James wrote:

I have this same problem. I have an extreme in the basement and and express in the living room but, given all the walls I can't reach into the bedroom. I have been thinking about getting another express to fit in the bedroom but then I started hearing about the "next big thing" is something called AC. Will it be best to wait until Apple comes out with this?

802.11ac is still in draft. The only vendor with a router that supports this is Netgear, scheduled for release sometime this month. Google search 802.11ac

May 5, 2012 10:51 AM in response to Carson James

Carson James wrote:

Does Time Capsual have an extreme built into it? Could I replace the extreme in the basement with a 2T time capsule and take the extreme upstairs and extend the range tht way? (Thanks for your help)

That won't change what your current conditions. Your problem is the location of the devices. Be reminded that you can not extend an extension. HOWEVER, you can have multiple extenders IF each one accesses the WiFi from the main unit (a "star" arrangement). Again, experimentation with location of main unit and extender(s) is necessary.

Extending wifi range

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.